• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1988 E-34 wing keel depth?

Dferr

Member II
Does anyone know the exact keel depth on a 1988 E-34? I was told it is 5'6". I read on the spec & Documents, that the E-34 had three different keels. A shoal 4'11 a deep 6'2" and a 5' wing. The boat I'm looking at has the wing. Can I be confident that it is only 5'?

Thanks,
Don

Last edited:

cawinter

Member III
#267 measurements

Don,
You are right. There is indeed confusion. Ericson specifies wing keels between 4’11’’ and 5’3’’. I just assume it is 5’5’’ at full loading as a safe maximum. The truth is probably at about 5'1". The keel will touch bottom at 3.5-foot sounder reading which is consistent with the distance between the sounder and the waterline. Keep in mind that the draft will increase as the boat heels...

Hope this helps.

escapade

Inactive Member
more confusion

I too have an E34 w/wing keel. I sail in fresh water which is less dense than salt so the boat actually rides somewhat lower in the water. Based on measurements from the actual water line (scum line stain) to the bottom of the keel on Escapade indicates I better have 5'6" or I'm in dire risk of an inadvertant anchoring episode. BTW, she is a "88 E34 #265.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

kevin81

Member II
Don:
My 1989 E34 with a wing keel has a draft of 5'-3". Attached is a picture at haul out. We sail in shallow waters and "plowing through the mud" is not uncommon. Unfortunately that removes the bottom paint on the wing. The only barnacles were on the wing. Not bad for 4 year old bottom paint! The boat is in the water year round and I have a diver scrub the bottom twice a year.
Kevin

Attachments

• Serenidad Nov2006.JPG
    Serenidad Nov2006.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 112