• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Coolant Air Lock - Universal 11 HP Diesel

Dan Hayes

Member III
Hi All -

Well, two weekends after beginning the replacement of my Raritan Water heater, I finally have the new heater in the lazarette and ready to install. What an interesting exercise that was - they must have put the water heater in before they built the boat, as it was much larger than the opening, which was blocked by the bilge pump and the exhaust hose.

Kind of like trying to put a baby back after it's been born, except for the sharp metal edges - but I digress.

I've hooked up the coolant hoses from the heat exchanger and the engine, but I'm not sure how to get the air out of the lines. Previous threads mentioned an "airlock" valve somewhere, but I don't see one on my 11 HP Universal Diesel.

I'm sure one of you guys have done a similar project, as there are lots of heat exchanger threads - anyone know how to get the air out of the coolant lines?

Thanks, guys.

-dh

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
FWIW, my '88 vintage Universal M25XP has a little valve on the thermostat housing that is used for that. Our hoses leading to the hot water heater coil come off that part of the engine, also.
When I replaced our hot water tank I remember having to run the engine several times and crack open that valve several times to vent air bubbles and finally got only coolant when I opened it. Now that I think back, I also did that with the pressure cap on the cast iron manifold right beside it, too.
I suspect that one could T in a little ball valve in a high point in the hose run to the new tank to make this stuff easier, maybe...
:confused:

Loren in PDX

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Much easier

I suspect that one could T in a little ball valve in a high point in the hose run to the new tank to make this stuff easier, maybe...
Much easier. The petcock is shown circled in red on the picture.

FWIW,circled in blue is the temperature alarm switch.

Attachments

• M-25XP 005 B.JPG
    M-25XP 005 B.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 269