• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacing Recessed Engine Instrument Panel Compartment

Rob

Member II
I've located an irritating leak. My instrument panel is mounted in a recessed compartment just below and aft of the port cockpit locker door. While I originally though that the caulking behind the flange of the compartment might be shot, I discovered that water was actualy following the top contour and dripping onto the base of the compartment where it pooled around a poorly sealed fuel guage and into the lazarette.

I'd rather replace the recessed compartment and start fresh, rather than simply re-bed the guages and instrument panel. I have a sense that the existing compartment might crack as I try to pry it out anyway.

Does anyone know of a source for these flanged, recessed compartments?
I've thought about using a Tempress "slam hatch" with a liner, which would provide great weather resistance. Of course, all the guages would be hidden behind that hatch. I'm not really sure that this would be an issue as the guages are all at ankle level anyway. Checking them invariable involves kneeling on the cockpit sole. Opening a hatch would not be a big deal.

Any good suggestions or comments out there?