• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Servicing sheet winches

Glyn Judson

Removing Barlow winches.

Laura and all, When it comes to my Barlow #23 winches, they have a threaded ring at the top with two 1/4"(?) holes for removal. I use an old trick I learned as a teen working in a paint store when removing the threaded metal bungs in 55 gallon drums. Place two small Phillips screwdrivers or the like in each hole, cross the screwdriver shafts and turn one handle against the other to remove and the other way to replace the rings. Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Success!!!

Sorry for the lengthy post here but thought I would share the story. We all learn something from this wonderful site and hopefully some of you will learn from my "oversight".

Ok, if I had known how easy it is to remove the winch assembly from the mounting base after removing the drum, I would have saved some cold fingers and frustration trying to do this project at the boat.

Pulled both of them, brought them home and did the deed. I don't know how long it has been since these primaries have been serviced, however it took some time and lots of scrubing with a parts cleaner brush to get the old grease completely off the parts to my satisfaction.

Only to find out that the drum on the starboard winch was still difficult to turn by hand, not good. So with further inspection I found that the self tailer arm was actually slightly bent and the little finger that fits in between the "wedge" that the sheet fits into was rubbing on the inside of the wedge, thus producing friction.

I was able to take a fairly large wood dowel to place through the large hole (that fits over the top of the center shaft) and a large screw driver placed in the spot between the finger and the arm (wrapped in cloth) and carefully bend the arm back into place.

Life is good at this point, all works just dandy and the winches are back on the boat now, ready to go sailing.

You now ask "why was it bent". Well, I had help hoisting a buddy up to place cheek blocks on the mast for my new Jiffy Jacks. I was on the jib halyard as safety. Another buddy was on the main halyard run to the starboard sheet winch. About half way up the mast, the guy on the main said to stop! The halyard had somehow over wound on the winch and what a mess. I took up the jib halyard to provide slack so we could untangle things and then proceed from there.

The guy on the main is 6'4" and about 270lbs. The arm must have been bent now because a week later I went sailing and noticed the stiffness of the drum. Just thought it was because the weather had turned cold and the winch got stiff due to old grease.

Oh well, as it was, the winches needed serviceing anyway. I should have thourouly inspected the winch after the mess.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
This winch servicing program has become a curse. I am now in possesion of a buddys Primary, Enkes 2 speeders. Will be doing the deed for him. Only fair, he goes up the mast on our boat when I need something done aloft.