• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast Wiring

ron7546

Member II
I`m in need of feedback on the "perfect" mast wiring solution for my E27. This last spring I rewired my mast after removing 9 sponges, 2 bird nests and an array lamp cords and assorted wires. I took the new wires and the coax down thru the mast shoe and into the corner of the head where they were hidden in behind a piece of corner molding. Left plenty of extra wire and "hard wired" all 5 wires. The coax of course had a connector ,also in
the head. I had no concerns about corrosion.
I KNEW it would be years befor I unstepped the mast. Guess what ? I`m adding a mast plate under the mast.
When I purchased the boat last fall , all connections were stuffed up into the mast with connectors.My feeling was - - - I would need to unstep the mast if there was a corrosion issue. Should I have worried about this ? ? ? ?
Is it wise to have the connections on deck ? ? ? If so where should the wires exit the mast and where do I go thru the deck ? Lastly, making everything watertight ?
Ron
Bluenote

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I prefer to make the connections above the deck, inside the mast, because otherwise, how do you seal the wires going through the deck and still allow them to be removed when the mast is removed?

I drilled through the deck in the middle of my mast step to run the wires through, then used a "watertight" connector in the mast and a coax connector too. I filled the hole through deck around the wires with polysulfide sealant, and drilled a drain hole near the bottom of the step to prevent water from collecting in the step.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
A stand pipe comming up to a 180 degree turn pointing the pipe down with the wires having slack hanging below the end of the pipe (a drip loop) is prefered. The stand pipe can be sealed or epoxied solid to the deck.

My 29 step was full of water when we lifted the mast off this fall. I have not found any weep holes in the step as of yet (under the silicone), I also will drill weep holes.

ron7546

Member II
Watertight connector ?

I have a 5 wire cable running up the mast.I have been unable to locate a 5 pin watertight connector, Do you know a source ?
Ron :confused:

leighton

Member I
Check out mcmaster.com - look for "Multipole Connectors". I think the "Field Attachable Plugs" would work inside the mast. I haven't had personal experience with this kind of setup, but I've often looked for uncommon items at mcmaster.com with success.

But, someone else on this site may have worked out a different solution for a problem similar to yours.