• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spreader Arms

chealey

I have just purchased an ericson 32-2 with wooden spreader arms and im looking for a source for aluminun arms. Has any ever changed the spreader arms on there boat and if so where did you find them.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Just spreaders

AFAIK, you will have to have a new set of spreaders custom made-which is not as bad as it sounds. The main thing is to duplicate the mounting bracket where it attaches to the mast.

Windjunkee may have been though this recently on his 32-2, so he may have a source who has done it, or any local rigger can do it for you.

Good luck,
S

windjunkee

Member III
We haven't replaced the spreaders on our rig. We did, however, crack the starboard upper right at the bracket. Happened overnight during a race last spring, we're not sure how.

I was somewhat surprised going up the mast to find the spreaders were wood. Guess I hadn't thought about it. The wood seems pretty hard though, and since it wasn't cracked through, we drilled the area out where the crack and then filled the area with penetrating epoxy. We then put straight brackets on the top and bottom of the spreader and it is stronger than before it was broken.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Two years ago one of the four wood spreaders on my '69 E32 split due to rot.

I looked into replacing them with metal but you're talking quite a bit of money for custom aircraft aluminum--the estimates I got were $1200-$1500 as I recall. And after that, who knows how they'll fit onto the mast.

This got me thinking. The spreaders are simply wedges, with some of the corners rounded off with the router. For 35 years that Sitka spruce was pretty darn good and incredibly light -- and the other 3 spreaders seemed to be in pretty good shape. How hard could it be to make new ones, and could aluminum ones possibly be $1200 lighter or longer-lasting? I didn't think so.

M.L. Condon, the local wood supply store in White Plains, NY had a suitable slab of Sitka spruce sitting around. I think it was $50. Once milled down -- a step I needed my brother-in-law's toolset for -- refabricating all four spreaders was straightforward using a band saw, a router, and a drill. I really don't know anything about woodworking. If I had, I might not have needed the band saw.

I coated the new spars with West epoxy, including the insides of the (slightly oversized) fastener holes, refinished the associated aluminum plates and mast hardware using the necessary zinc primers, and painted all with Brightside.

If I had to do this again, assuming it was winter and not infringing on sailing time, if a perfect fit in aluminum were available for $500 I'd choose that option. Above that and I'd make 'em myself again. Sitka spruce is really cool.

Last edited:

dwigle

Member III
We had new spreaders made for our old boat by Lefiell and the cost was less than $300 as I recall, though this was about 4 years ago. We sent the old wood ones in and had aluminum replacements in about two weeks.

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8