• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ground plate for E27

jkenan

Member III
Lots of different shools of thought on the subject. I'm currently evaluating the same for my E29 after I lost all my electronics to a strike, and in preparation for taking my 9mo old out more often on the NC waterways (with frequent thunderstorms).

Interesting web site that offers good explanations (and products, which I receive nothing if you buy):

http://www.marinelightning.com/

They seem to have a comprehensive and compelling solution. I'm trying to determine if I can replicate any of this by procuring the materials myself, and so far I've had no luck locating tinned copper bar. But I like their approach, and would interested in other's thoughts.

Keep us posted on how you proceed, and good luck!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
Since the E27 keel is encapsulated. Where would one install the ground plate, for lightning protection? Thanks

I've gotten the impression that the ground plate is best located close to the base of the mast, providing a nice short path from the mast and rigging, down to the ground. One common mistake is depending on those sintered bronze ground plates for a lightening ground. My understanding is that they are not nearly large enough, and will likely explode (because of the water trapped in those pores) if energized at such high voltage. What you need is edge-area, not surface area. So rather than a big square ground block, you want a long skinny ground strip - like the one on that website. Another thing I've heard about lightening grounding is "do it completely, or don't do it at all." One theory is that a grounded boat may be more likely to attract a strike, so you better make sure things are sized properly, every element is grounded (chainplates, stanchions, mast, radar poles/arches, etc) and connected with conductors of sufficient size, and nice straight runs without sharp bends.

Otherwise you'll just be grabbing a tiger by the tail, and letting it loose in a partially grounded boat. :eek:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Lightning

A few comments about what Nate said after reading the IEEE article referenced by Marine Lightning Protection, Inc. "A Critical Assessment of the U.S. Code for Lightning Protection of Boats"

The standard "at least 1 foot square" copper plate is adequate in salt water; it doesn't do as well in fresh water. The wires should be a minimum of #4 copper.

You are less likely to have major damage and injury if you have some protection as opposed to no protection.

With a grounded mast you are likely going to avoid a stroke because of the charge bleeding off and neutralizing the air around the masthead. That is the theory of lightning masts.

The ideas presented by Marine Lightning Protection, Inc.sound very expensive and not very practical. I would consider it a complete waste of money in salt water.