• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-37 Circumnaviagation

Mike.Gritten

Member III
We had a yellow hulled E37 stay at our yacht club for a few days this past August. The owners lived aboard and claimed that she was the boat that Webb had circumnavigated in many years before. It was cutter rigged with a vane for steering and was quite simple down below. It had seen better days, but the owners claimed she was an excellent sea boat and I have no reason to doubt them!

chrism

Inactive Member
Mike, Did you read Webb's book about his sail on the E-37?

It didn't sound very seaworthy to me... It started falling apart!

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Just got my Pelagic Pilot delivered to my house this week by my friend Brian. I have heard great things about it and expect they are all true.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
I am more and more interested in this autopilot the more I read about it.
I have emailed Brian back and forth a few times and I like what I have seen so far.
I would love to see pictures and video of it in action when you get it installed!
Also any comparisons to other auto pilots you have used, reaction speed, noise level, power usage, ect.
I am currently using a simrad tp-22 but as I venture further offshore I want something more reliable and more capable. I was considering the Raymarine evo-100 but Brian's system looks a bit better and a bit cheaper.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Darwin to Durban Passage Log posted

The Pelagic tiller pilot is mentioned frequently ...

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Shelman, I will report my thoughts on the Pelagic. It will be a while as Im nearing the end of a two year rebuild of my boat. But I will report my findings.

I read with great interest Webb's trouble with his Pelagic and it seems to me that besides the noise issue his problems seem to be with his installation.

Here is a video of a friend of mine racing into San Francisco Bay from the Pacific this past weekend and doing a spinnaker peel single handed while his Pelagic drives his Martin 32. Seems to be working pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5m35z7xEM

Last edited: