• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help Designing a Cradle for a 36C

Kenneth Kelly

I had a winter storage cradle made for my Ericson 36C. After hauling the boat, we found that it would not fit on the cradle.
I have some blueprints that show the boat from the top (i.e. looking down from the mast), and the side. However, I do not have a drawing showing a bow or stern view.

If anyone could email specs for a cradle that will fit a 36C, or a drawing showing the hull shape from a bow or stern view it would be appreciated.

Glyn Judson

E36C drawings

Kenneth, Welcome to the list. I know that E31 drawings are available from Bruce King and see no reason why drawings for your boat wouldn't too. I think you can contact him at pam@bkyd.com to see if that's so. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
There is an unfinished 36c hull on a cradle in Moss Landing CA(I'm 99% sure it is a 36c). I'm not sure when I'll get down there next but I'll take some photos if I do.

Anyone know about this boat in Moss Landing? The deck is unattached and sitting on top of the hull. It was obviously never finished.

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Unfinished E36C hull

Mark and otehrs, I too visited that hull a few years ago and even have photos of it. Indeed there is a cradle for it but the boat's in it. For anyone interested in the photos, just email me directly. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA glynjudson@adelphia.net

Glyn Judson

36C hull

Mark, I don't know anything more than you probably do. I can get you there and that's about it. A friend who owns an E31 in Monterey Harbor took me there where I saw what appartnely you have too, a hull, a deck and what appears to be all or part of the interior liner. I have no idea what she looks like inside but suspect that she's bare. As to lead ballast, your guess is as good as mine. No body was around when we visited the boat and I didn't feel comfortable climbing up onto it without permission. That's it in a nutshell. Glyn

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Kenneth,

Where are you located? I have an unused, folding, 2005 Jowi model 2.0 cradle that I'm virtually certain will fit your boat. See www.jowi.com for specifics, but it's good for boats up to 40' long weighing up to 20,000 pounds. Transportation costs on these things (from North Carolina) are killer if you aren't in the area or aren't making a bulk purchase -- but if you're in the Northeast perhaps we can make a deal.

I happen to have this one because my 32' is on the upper edge of my yacht club's marine railway haulout capacity, and last year when attempting to upgrade my cradle I failed to measure one...uh...critical element of its geometry.

tenders

Kenneth Kelly

thank you

Kenneth,

Where are you located? I have an unused, folding, 2005 Jowi model 2.0 cradle that I'm virtually certain will fit your boat. See www.jowi.com for specifics, but it's good for boats up to 40' long weighing up to 20,000 pounds. Transportation costs on these things (from North Carolina) are killer if you aren't in the area or aren't making a bulk purchase -- but if you're in the Northeast perhaps we can make a deal.

I happen to have this one because my 32' is on the upper edge of my yacht club's marine railway haulout capacity, and last year when attempting to upgrade my cradle I failed to measure one...uh...critical element of its geometry.

tenders

I am located in Toronto, so the transportation would likely be prohibitive. Thank you for your reply.

Kenneth Kelly

thank you

Kenneth, Welcome to the list. I know that E31 drawings are available from Bruce King and see no reason why drawings for your boat wouldn't too. I think you can contact him at pam@bkyd.com to see if that's so. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Thanks Glyn. Have sent a message to Bruce King for help.

Kenneth Kelly

thank you

There is an unfinished 36c hull on a cradle in Moss Landing CA(I'm 99% sure it is a 36c). I'm not sure when I'll get down there next but I'll take some photos if I do.

Anyone know about this boat in Moss Landing? The deck is unattached and sitting on top of the hull. It was obviously never finished.

thanks for the reply Mark. I have some photos of Sky Lark that I can pass on, but I suspect they need some measurements.

Also, the boat must be hauled on Nov 14, so they have to re-build the cradle this week. I will have to pass along what I have and cross my fingers.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Kenneth, I guess I am a bit of a cradle junkie having grown up on Lake Erie before the Great Jackstand Revolution of the 1990s wiped out most of the cradles at the Erie Yacht Club, and now at the Harlem Yacht Club in NYC where the marine railway system necessitates the use of cradles.

It strikes me as odd that whoever made your cradle knows it is the wrong size but doesn't know what to do about it. Some, probably not all of, the supports are either too close together or too far apart; and they are either too high or too low, right?

The pads of all cradles I've seen, as well as those of standard issue jackstands, go up and down via a threaded rod which penetrates, and a nut that sits on top of, each support. So I'm guessing height is not the problem.

Similar to the way you might tip a jackstand a few degrees by picking just one of the three feet off the ground, the Jowi cradles' supports pivot towards or away from the hull, held in place and adjusted by a somewhat vertical support which attaches to one of several holes along the athwartships members of the cradle base, sort of the way you might make a triangle with an Erector set. This offers a great deal of dimensional flexibility.

Does your cradle not have this flexibility? Is your cradle (gasp) welded solid? And do you have an interesting excuse for needing a cradle in the first place?