• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ultra-Low Sulphur Diesel problems?

Annapolis E-27

Member III
This was extracted from another list that I participate in.

"For those of us who prefer to burn clear road diesel vice the dyed
marine diesel (easier to monitor particulate and microbial
contamination) , note that as of October 2006 the EPA has required
refiners to produce "ultra-low sulphur diesel" for road use. U-LSD
can be detrimental to fuel system seals and has less lubricity for
wearing surfaces. The advice from the Westerbeke Regional Master
Distributor is to use the additive "Algae-X ASC705" when burning road
diesel."

Has anyone used this product? Is this a real problem?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Not a direct answer to your question, but Westerbeke FAQs states:

Do I need to use a fuel additive?
Westerbeke recommends using a good quality fuel additive with both gasoline and diesel fuel. The additive should stabilize the fuel. "STA-BIL" brand is a good choice. Another consideration is fuel boosters - cetane booster for diesel fuel to improve fuel burn efficiency and reduce "transom soot", and octane booster for gasoline to improve performance and cleaner fuel burn. Additives to reduce algae in diesel fuel tanks is recommended as well. ALWAYS follow the manufacturers' directions and recommendations when using fuel additives. More is not always better.

jkm

Member III
Road Diesel

I have a newer Mercedes diesel and the change over to the cleaner burning fuel in California has resulted in virually no smoking. I do add a couple ounces of "Marvel Mystery Oil" at fill up when I can. This was recommended by my Hans.

Course I put it in my Triumph, A-4 and Margaritas, I'm not sure what it does, but everythings just fyne.

John

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
ULSD is good stuff. Previous diesel fuel standards were very low, cetane numbers of 42 or lower were common. Diesel fuel with low cetane numbers like these are the equivalent of putting cat pee in your engine. ULSD is neccessary for new diesel engines to meet current and future emission standards. The quality is much higher and more uniform much like european diesel fuel has been for years. ULSD does have lower lubricity than previous diesel fuel but there are easy solutions.

The design of the injection pump on a diesel engine is what will determine if it "may" be damaged by ULSD or not. Rotary type injection pumps are the most vulnerable to low lubricity fuel as they are lubricated by the fuel pumped through them only. Inline injection pumps are usually internally lubricated by engine oil lube or their own internal oil supply. Common rail injection diesels are modern and designed to run on ULSD.

Lubricity can easily be added to diesel fuel if needed. There are many quality additives such as Stanadyne Performance Formula, Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat, etc. etc. I would recommend a diesel specific additive over a product like Stabil. Some even add a little straight 30weight oil to each fillup or some ATF. Marvel Mystery Oil or some 2-cycle oil will work well too. Another option is biodiesel. Biodiesel has very high lubricity. In quantities as low as 2% it easily provides all the lubricity any injection pump could want.

I add an overdose of Howes or Stanadyne at the begining of each season and the end for storage. I also add the recommended dose to each 5 gallon can I pour into the tank to top off. FWIW, I have over 500,000 miles in diesel Mercedes, VW's and GM trucks. I have always use additives and have never had a fuel related problem or failure. Additives are cheap insurance especially in sailboats that don't use much fuel and the fuel sits for long periods.

There you go, RT

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Rob,

I was at odds with your post initially, but you really hit it on the head. The lack of sulpher eats fuels pumps that were not designed for it which is a great expense. Your thread captures the risk as well as the way to resolve it.
Good Post!
shaun

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
shaun,
Glad you appreciate the info. Granted its worth what ya paid for it! I feel the benefits of ULSD are greater than the risks since the relative risk is so easily mitigated by simply adding a little additive to the fuel. Simple, easy and cheap, much like adding lead additive to older gasoline engines that were not designed for unleaded fuel. Knowledge is key here and the benefits of ULSD far outweigh the negatives. Most sailboat diesels are inline pumps and USLD is not a threat anyway. The lack of sulphur is not really the problem. In the process or removing the sulphur other lubricating properties are removed as well and thats where the problem comes from.

FWIW, I am a diesel nut. I only drive diesel vehicles, I have made my own biodiesel, run WVO blends, etc. I have also been elbow deep in many diesel engines. Detroits, Kubotas, VW's, MB's, GM 6.5liter, etc. They are singularly fascinating as they are actually very different from their gasoline cousins. Completely dry airflow in the intake tract, no throttle plate, speed control via fuel not air, etc. Neat stuff if you are into it.

RT

Last edited:

Don Smith

Member II
I have a 1984 era Yanmar 1GM one cylinder diesel in my E26. I've checked the operator's manuel and can't determine whether this engine has an in-line or rotary injection fuel pump. Do any of you know which it is?

Due to the extortionary fuel prices at the only fuel dock in the marina where I berth my boat, I've been buying my diesel fuel at a nearby gasoline station d which I understand is now sells the ultra low sulfer diesel fuel. Can anyone give me some guidance on this? I guess I'll get the fuel additive if it's necessary to protect the engine, but it runs so well I that I hate to add anything if it's not necessary.

Thanks in advance for your input