• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How well are 70's Ericsons built?

SAILSHIGH

Member III
All,

First off, I love my 1975 E29. But truely how well are these 1970's Ericsons built. Does it go to the specific make up of their components. Is the fiberglass a specific grade better than other boats. I had a 1979 Hunter before this boat and I find the craftsmanship of the Ericson much superior. But in your opinion why are they better?

What I love is the reliable Atomic 4 engine. The solidness of the hull. The classic look of the lines. The seperate areas of the cockpit. Having a Head and holding tank instead of a bungeed down porta john. A real susport system of owners who have such varied opinions and share them.

Thats a small list of the notable ones. Look forward to everyones feedback.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I think Ericson just did things better. Better QC. They did not skimp on materials so they could make a little extra profit. Not unlike other 70's era boats that are proving the test of time; Pearson, Cal, C&C, Tartan, S2. Of course, many of these builders have been bought up or are completely gone. Hunter and Catalina survived fine but I think it was because they were making cheaper boats that had a higher margin.

I equate this to the auto industry of the 20s and 30s. Many great car companies that got killed by the fords and chevys. Just like older fords and chevys, Catalinas and Hunters seemed to be better quality than they are now. These boat designs also cater more to the admiral than the captain. More creature comforts and less sailability.

If you want a really warped perspective go to www.sailboatowners.com and search their all sailors forum. There is a Hunter owner there who claims that all Ericsons and A4s are junk and that Hunters are far superior. Kind of funny to read how this guy contradicts himself.

FL Dave

Wes,

Here's my experience. Have owned Cape Dory and Beneteau sailboats. Delivered others including Island Packet. My previous Ericson 1976 E27 was built as strong as the Cape Dory (E27 comfotable in a seaway), better than the Island Packet (don't like non-glassed over hull-to-deck joint), and stronger than the Beneteau (roomy but light). All sailboats are compromises -- seaworthiness vs. roominess, strength vs. affordability, glitz vs. longevity. I am currently refitting an Ericson E31 Independence 1979 -- a compromise strongly favoring seaworthiness and ocean cruising.

I've sailed for over 40 years and now find myself firmly believing that whatever boat I choose to own in the future, she will be an Ericson. As you said, the basic constuction of the boat, Bruce King's amazing designs, the kindly sea-keeping ability of these fine vessels, and the excellent owner's support network -- all combine to make Ericsons the best choice in sailing.

Dave
E31 Independence
"Chance Encounter"

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Having looked at many boats just last year before finding our E38 there is a great range in quality. Ericsons are very well made, better than most from any era you choose. If you like them, the styling, the layouts, etc. then you are an Ericson fan like the rest of us. There are many other great boats though. I really like the build quality of Niagara and Nonsuch. Very nicely made and thoughtful designs. I got to look at a CS (canadian sailcraft) that appeared to be bulletproof/military grade tough. My top pick would be a Valiant 50. Its nice to say that I only want to own Ericsons but this is a terribly limiting statement. As wonderful as they are, there are simply too many other nice boats out there! RT