• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need new sole.

Dferr

Member II
Does anyone have any experience with replacing the teak sole. I'm in the process of purchasing a 1989 E32. But the floor will have to be replaced. Other then that, the boat seems to be in pretty good condition. It seems the floor was glued down. Is their a reason it wasn't screwed down? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
O Sole A Mio

Don,
You should use the Search command, located above these messages in the blue bar.
This subject is the genesis of one the most informative and lengthly threads on the entire site. :)

"Removal of glued down cabin sole" is one of the major thread titles, with over 3500 (!) hits.

Note that using the thread management tools, you can condense any thread for printing or saving to your desktop. Photos can, as in any browser window, be dragged off to the desktop.

Read 'em over, and feel encouraged to post your follow-up questions.

Note B: you can also "bring to life" any older thread by entering a Reply to it with your further question or input. Only a few threads have been formally closed by moderators.

So, start reading and studying, and then "bare your sole!"
:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Loren

ps: since we first started contributing to those cabin sole threads, our own varnish has dulled considerably and the Admiral now wants me to sand and recoat it this winter... a Viking's work is never done...

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Anyone see the stuff they used in the new Beneteau first class 10? It looks like teak and holly but is actually a laminate like pergo or what ever. Never needs refinishing, doesnt rot, is extremely durable, is not a slippery when wet. Don't know where you buy it but it seems nice.

Dferr

Member II
I'm from Bangor, PA. I sail out of Keyport NJ in Raritan Bay. Thanks for the info! I used to own, for a very short time a 1989 Pearson 31, It was a beautiful boat, but it got destroyed by Ernseto. I'm now looking at the Eericsons, nice boats!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don,
Ernesto... Wow, what a tough way to be back in the market for a boat!
:boohoo:
I used to spend some time on board a friend's late model P-31. Those are a real nice boat.
My own prejudice is toward the Ericson with its sit down nav table, if I were choosing...
Bill Shaw @ Pearson really liked a stand-up nav surface on top of his fridge. Every design feature is a compromise, after all.

I believe that you will find the E-32/3 or E-32/200 to be quality-comparable in every way. Neither brand is cheap on the used market, and for good reason! The Ericson teak interior is quite nice, also.
:cool:
Whatever you do, please keep us posted.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Ah, Bangor PA, right down the street from Kirkridge, one of my old hang gliding haunts. Good luck with the Ericson search!
Mark

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Hey Don, I grew up in PA(Ambler) and my wife grew up in Blairston, NJ. I also used to sail a Pearson(28). Loved it. The Ericson I have now is wonderfull but I still miss my tiller! We usually visit that area every couple of years.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
That plasteak looks pretty good, and sounds fairly easy to install. Not cheap though! At $45/lf on a 6' wide roll, that's $240 for a 4x8 sheet-equivalent! Almost cheaper to get the real thing! I imagine you'll still need to put down 1/2" or 3/4" plywood as a substrate for the laminate, so add that to the price.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I guess I'm not really looking down this route in the interest of getting the job done for less money. I'm thinking this stuff wont need to be finished, or ultimately refinished. It will not likely get dings in it when someone drops a winch handle or soup can. I think it will definately need some substrate underneath if it is only 1/4", but perhaps one could use something like a non water absorbing core material like divincell or corecell, or that coosa panel stuff? Lots of questions about the install though and being able to laminate this stuff to a suitable substrate, being able to remove sections to acess areas currently off limits. Would it be easier to work with than the wood? How would it look with the existing wood interior? I am needing to go down the soul route before too long and after seeing the Beneteau First 10R at the boat show this year I was reasonably impressed with the material they used for the sole. Not sure what the material was though, mayeb it was the plasteak?

tilwinter

Member III
Sole Survivor

I too am doing this project.

I spoke to the PlasTeak people. They sell a 1/8 inch material in rolls. It is as I recall 5 feet wide, and in any length you would like.

They recommend gluing it to a foamed polyurethane I believe. My notes are at the office, and I can't access them right now. They tell you to buy the plastic locally. I have such a source here in Baltimore

You then glue the PlasTeak to the plastic and then cut the product to fit. They sell you the glue.

Since my E30 has 1/4 inch teak and holly plywood glued to the subfloor, I would have to find 1/8 plastic to glue the PlasTeak to.

From my perspective, it would be easier to buy teak and holly plywood. The rest of the project is just cutting per pattern, then filling the underside with dilute epoxy, and covering the surface with the appropriate material. There are a number of options which have been discussed.

Then just glue and screw it down.