• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

First Race for my E-38

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
We raced the Baltimore Harbor Leukemia Cup this weekend. We had 10-15 from the northwest. The boat did great! See http://www.bcya.com/ for results. We were in Class A3, the boat is Escape Plan. We beat several C&C 99s scratch as well as the Baltic 35 we were scratch with. It was mostly a beat. We were doing really well for most of the race until the breeze shut down by the Key Bridge. There we lost 2 boats. Out in the bay in the breeze we were passing tons of boats. We passed a Beneteau 36.7 who started well ahead of us and I think rates 78. The boat pointed with the best of the full on race machines out there and we had great speed. Will have to post some shots of the new quantum 150 furling genoa. Thanks to all of the guys who helped me get this boat up to speed on this board!

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Wow Ted, that's exciting stuff, congrats.

I couldn't find the results on that website yet but I'll check later on Escape Plan.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
I can vouch...

I can vouch for how good "Escape Plan" looked on the course. I was on an S-2 that worked the last few miles of the course near Ted. Boat and sail trim looked great! Beautiful day for racing!
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Chris! We blew off the party and hit bars in town pretty hard. Didnt do the race back but had a good ride home and got to watch the Soling Worlds off annapolis. Results should be on www.bcya.com then follow the links to the leukemia cup info.

Roger Ware

Member III
What kind of keel do you have?

Ted, I know that I could find this somewhere on the site, but do you have a deep keel. I find with my E38 200 and the elaborate wing keel, it doesn't point with the race boats at all.

The results are up on the site. Congratulations!

Cheers, Roger

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I have the deep fin. 6.5' draft which is sometimes a drag when cruising but sure sweet when it comes time to go up hill. There are times when I wish I had a more modern foil and/or fin/bulb configuration say from Mars, but the costs associated just don't seem worth it to me. When I was looking at boats I looked at a lot of keels and for the type of sailing I do most often I determined a deep fin was best for me. I have never been a fan of wing keels personally. Nothing wrong with them I guess, just not the keel for me. Bulbs are nice but most of the ones I saw on boats for sale in the Chesapeake area were on shallow draft keels with long chord sections, at least on the boats that were in my price range. I know the bulb on the short draft keel gives you the correct righting moment but what does it do for you in terms of outright lift and lateral resistance when going to weather? My decision was based entirely on my own personal aesthetic view of what looked right to me and so far it has performed pretty well, but no science to back it up...

Roger Ware

Member III
not whether but where ........

Ted, although I chose my wing keel deliberately because I thought it would help with cruising, I am more of the view now that your boat's draft only determines "where" you run aground, not "whether". I ran aground in 5 feet of water in a race 3 weeks ago trying to cut a corner. The cause - stupidity in not reading the chart, (and lack of manpower on my boat) - not the depth of my keel.

Cheers, Roger

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
" Your boat's draft only determines "where" you
run aground, not "whether"....

ha...well stated....(imho)......:rolleyes: