• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 25 mast step

markl

Hi guys; I bought a 1973 E 25 cb this last spring. An E-bay purchase! I'm doing some rehab on the boat, didn't launch it this summer. I have the cast aluminum mast step just like the one in the picture from Joe Williams. My mast step tilts down towards the port side at least 5 to 10 degrees. Because I didn't launch the boat I don't know if this forces the mast to lean to port. Has anyone out there worked on the mast step? I'm wondering if the bolts in the top are threaded in or have nuts on the inside. Any input would be appreciated. Also, I'm going to try running a longer boom off an E 27 with a full batten mylar main off an Olsen 25. Also , I'm looking for opportunites to crew on other peoples boats. I travel the country, so let me know if you need crew. Mark in Cleveland

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
If the mast step is at such an angle I'd guess the first concern would be delamination or compression of the core in the deck under the mast step.

I don't know if the angle of the step would stress the mast (might put too much pressure on the bottom edge of the extrusion on the high side), but it needs fixed for other reasons.

The owner of Emerald replaced the compressed core under his step for his E-31, and he documented the whole process with pictures and descriptions on his website. That should be very helpful. Perhaps someone can point out a link to that page?

rssailor

Mast step

Does it look like the deck is caved in a bit where in leans down? Is the deck cracked around the mast step? Is the boat sitting level on the trailer as well? Check those things out and let the forum know, then others will probable chime in on what to do to fix or it there is even a problem. Ryan

markl

crooked mast step

HI. Thanks for the replies. There is no visible weakness in the deck; no cracks, no soft spots that I can feel. Some previous owner removed and rebedded the hollow aluminum base part. He also tilted the base plate in the mast to try and cure the mast lean. It just looks like the deck tilts to port and the step goes with it. KInda weird. I'm thinking about installing an angled aluminum piece under the stainless U-mount to correct the angle. Best I can come up with.

Emerald

This just doesn't seem right. Something is/has moved here. It would be best to figure out what and fix than make an angled piece. Can you post a picture?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Mast Step

Mark- Look down in the cabin an see if the bulkhead and post have slipped. Or the centerboard keel enclosure has not caved in to port. Rob Hessenius

markl

hi again guys. I decided to do a better inspection on my mast step. There was some stress cracking to port of the step and some sinking on the surface. I decided to go ahead and cut into the deck; it's almost Nov.; no time to fool around! I drilled a continuous line of 5/32' holes around the step, following the the non-skid line and back edge of the forehatch. I could feel hollow space under the fg layer. Then I saw some water come up with the drill bit. Knew I'd done the right thing then. UNbolted the step and pryed off the glass layer. Yow! Nothing under the step but rotted balsa core, not plywood. Should have been plywood or better yet solid glass. I'm drying out the cleaned up area now with lights pryor to a rebuild. I've got some pics; will try to send over.

Emerald

Hi,

Bravo! You definatly did the right thing. I'd recommend using a marine grade ply as your new core here. Epoxy coat it first. Here's a link to West System's cold weather guide: http://www.westsystem.com/webpages/userinfo/moreinfo/000-915.pdf and check this out for some good projects to look at etc: http://www.epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html . I did Emerald's mast step in December on the Chesapeake, which meant lows at night in upper 20's with highs in the upper 30's low 40's. You'll probably want to tent off this area and build a little shelter. I found with a nice little quartz heater I could really warm things up. You'll see it perched on the edge of my work area in the project section I posted earlier in this thread. I also did things like used a big aluminum turkey pan flipped upside down with a sail then on top of that to make a blanket to keep the heat in when done for the day.

Keep us posted, and any pictures would be nice to see.

Last edited:

rssailor

Rebuild of deck

Good job, looks like suspicions were true. Well now it will be a lot stronger. You might want to soak any piece of wood you use for the core with smiths penetrating epoxy or some other penetrating epoxy. Boat will be stronger than before. Ryan

Steve Swann

Member III
re-coring under the mast step

I too, have an Ericson 25 that had some wet core up forward. I have a love-hate relationship with balsa core. Make sure to scarf out past the wet core quite a ways with your repair piece of marine plywood. I would think that a couple feet each direction might be involved before you are through. You might have to run plywood strips to allow for the bend in the deck. Also, I would use a vacuum bagged system to ensure a good bond back to the top and bottom layers of glass with good temperature control.

I have made fiberglass casts of non-skid to ensure an invisible repair in some of my boat projects. You have a big project ahead of you, but certainly do-able. There are some decent tech manuals out there that will help, but if this is your first time, you might consider finding someone who is an expert in composites to help you. Some specialized equipment (vac bagging) should be involved.

Check your bow area for dampness, this is a place I had to fix.

Steve Swann
Seahorse

markl

e25 mast step

thanks again. I have tried to send pics but can't get them to go through. will try again. Mark in Cleveland