• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Waste Tank Vent

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
After a great sailing season, I'm planning on completing the insallation of a waste tank in my E27. I started the project last winter but never finished it. Sailing seemed to take precedence over any and all work that got it the way.

My question is... where should I place the waste tank vent fitting and what type of fitting do i use?

Every diagram that I've seen on plumbing a tank shows this fitting mounted either through the hull (high above the waterline) or through the cabin top (above the deck).

If in the hull, do you need an in-line check valvel to prevent incoming water when on that tack?

If mounted on the pilot house, do you get bad odors back in the cockpit when you sail or does that $82 holding tank filter from WM really work?

Any advice on the type fitting and best mounting location is appreciated.

Thanks,
Grant Kiba
E27/#406
Brentwood, CA

Emerald

Assuming the tank is under the V-berths as typical, the vent is usually located very high up on the side of the hull and very far forward. Let's say a foot or so back from the stem and a couple inches below the toe-rail. Here's a link from the West Marine online catalog for a Perko vent that is of the type I see most frequently.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...4850/0/0/vent/All_2/mode matchallpartial/75/0

in case the link doesn't work, the WM number is 281360

I am an Odorloss convert for keeping holding tank odors away (it really does work well), and since I've started using the Odorloss, I've not had any bad smell issues from the vent. Also, with the vent in this forward position, I've never had a problem with water coming back down through it.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I agree that it can be placed in the hull just below the toe rail. That's where mine is, and I have a smaller chromed fitting, also in the West Marine catalogue. The vent is small, has two small holes/screens, and faces aft to avoid any water coming in from the bow wave. It's quite unobtrusive, works well, has not leaked or allowed water in, and costs less than $15.00. I am replacing it, as it is the original and the screens have become a bit grungy, but will install the same fitting.
Just my thoughts....
Frank.

Emerald

Just to echo on Frank's thought about a smaller size vent, first figure out the vent hose diameter on the holding tank side, then make sure the vent is the same.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
David, good point to ensure that the vent fits the hose. The vent I was referencing was right for a 5/8" hose. Also, I was told that this should be a hose specifically made for waste, not just a normal plastic hose, to avoid smell getting absorbed into the plastic.
Frank.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
side vs transom; check valve

We had a Pearson 27 with a waste vent on the side. We seemed to get more odors that way as opposed to our two 200 series Ericsons with the waste vent on the upper starboard transom. Going downwind of course you can get odors from the transom. With the vent on the transom odors on anchor will be eliminated except maybe for any poor souls swimming or dinking behind the boat.

I think David suggested that the primary way to deal with waste odors is to take measures to prevent them in the first place.

Also I highly recommend that a check valve is installed above the waste tank in the vent line to prevent sludge from plugging the waste vent itself when heeling or from a full tank. I've experienced where the vent can become clogged and then you end up with a pressurized tank ! At least with a check valve you don't end up with a plugged vent. I've successfully used the West Marine fuel surge preventer product for this.

hcpookie

Member III
After a great sailing season, I'm planning on completing the insallation of a waste tank in my E27. I started the project last winter but never finished it. Sailing seemed to take precedence over any and all work that got it the way.

My question is... where should I place the waste tank vent fitting and what type of fitting do i use?

Every diagram that I've seen on plumbing a tank shows this fitting mounted either through the hull (high above the waterline) or through the cabin top (above the deck).

If in the hull, do you need an in-line check valvel to prevent incoming water when on that tack?

If mounted on the pilot house, do you get bad odors back in the cockpit when you sail or does that $82 holding tank filter from WM really work?

Any advice on the type fitting and best mounting location is appreciated.

Thanks,
Grant Kiba
E27/#406
Brentwood, CA

Been there, done that! :D I did the very same thing at the very same time last year. I'll let you know what I've learned:

Are you talking about the diagrams in the Specs & Documents section? The sanitation_plumbing doc shows right below the toe rail. My boat had it put at about eye level just behind the window in the head. About where the "water vent" is located on the 1st page of that doc. No idea why.
I wouldn't think so, but you never know. If you're tacked over that far where that point of the hull is under water for a long time, then maybe. Hard to tell.

If mounted on the pilot house, do you get bad odors back in the cockpit...
I don't have any odor problems at anchor or under sail. I'll get the occasional whiff but its not like I'm anchored on a sewer :) Using the sanitation-grade tubing is how to prevent odors in the cabin.

HTH
- Jerry

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Stinky Head Odors

Grant- IMHO, people buy the $82 filter for two reasons only. 1. to replace the filter that was installed on there boat as original equipment and someone down the dock asks them if they have done it. I can always tell when the filter topic has occured the night before. That weekend you will have a run on them. 2. They add it as a easy/first attempt to eliminate the odor that is really coming from there permiated hoses or crap tank. After they install the $82 filter, there worst fears are soon to be realized. It usually stinks the most when it is the hottest time of the year, Gotta love pulling those hoses in that heat!
Proper maintenance and most importantly the right products will make your noses and hoses happy :) Rob Hessenius

Last edited: