• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mainsheet Traveler

daynardi

Member II
We have a Ronstan 1-1/4" "I-beam" traveler for our mainsheet. The becket on one of the control ends snapped, I need to replace the control end. While I am at it, I'd like to replace the traveler car and the other control end. I want to keep the existing track.

According to the Rig-right website, Ronstan 1 1/4" traveler cars are not compatible with other traveller tracks, but the site don't state whether traveler cars from other manufacturers will fit a Ronstan track. I don't know yet if Ronstan still provides parts for my old traveler, I wonder if I can use parts from Nicro-Fico or Amiot which appear to use a similar I-beam track.

Does anyone know if parts from these manufacturers will fit my Ronstan track?

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

I think you are sol

I believe that the only things that fit the Ronstan were the ronstan, they are no longer made, and no longer available...... Also check the bottom of the I beam track, is it in the slightest chewed up? If so then the whole shebang is probably overdue for a replacement.

The Garhauer tracks, cars etc are fairly inexpensive compared to Harken both work exceptionally well.

Guy
:)

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Maybe have the part...

David,

Can you put up a picture or bit more detailed description of the part?

We replaced the Ronstan traveller on our '84 E35 with a Harken (but also looked closely at the Garhauer) and have the nominally workable old parts sitting in the basement, but they don't really match your description. If the part fits, I'd happily give it to you and it could probably keep you going until you "take the plunge" on a new traveller.

Cory Bolton

daynardi

Member II
Reply to Cory Bolton

Cory
Thanks for the offer of parts. Yes I am interested. Unfortunately I just ordered replacement end sheaves from Rig-Rite, but I'd still be happy to have your old parts, especially the traveler car, which I am not replacing. If my new end sheaves don't work, yours will come in handy. Otherwise, I'll make them available to anyone out there in Ericson Land who is nursing along a similar obsolete Ronstan traveler.

As Guy Stephens suggested in his post, my old track is a bit chewed up. I suspect that this is because the traveler is overloaded, (I think that Ericson cut a corner here).

Attached are some photos of the traveler. Let me know what it costs to mail your old parts (sheaves and car, I'm not interested in the track, which is probably bulky to mail anyway). I'll send a check.

You can contact me by way of this website's private messaging feature.

Attachments

• IMG_1731 LR.jpg
    IMG_1731 LR.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_1730 LR.jpg
    IMG_1730 LR.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

daynardi

Member II
Sounding off...

I can't resist editorializing a bit about my traveler.

This is one of the few bad ideas in our boat. The track is so short that its main function is decor, not sail management. Attaching it to the weather hood doesn't seem all that smart either, it flexes the entire roof when fully loaded. As a final gripe, I think the traveler is undersized for the load which is probably why the track is eroded from the passage of the steel wheels on the car.

I've committed to fix it this year, but I'm going to start saving my pennies for a full replacement.

Last edited:

lbertran

Member III
I Replaced Mine With A Harken

I used the Harken high profile track which doesn't have to be fully supported. So I was able to seal the bolt holes on the sea hood and attach the track only to the towers on either end. Harken finally did a nice job of bending the track to match our curve, after getting it wrong on the first try. The Harken is a significant improvement over the orginal Ronstan.

Laura Bertran
Footloose, 1985 E35-3
Annapolis

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Harken

Ditto on the Harken hi-profile track - no longer supported by the turtle, but made beefy backing plates since its only supported on the ends.

David, I'll PM you on the track cars. I'm not near mine right now, but at a glance your's look different, but I think they still may work.

-Cory