• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pedestal Guard 35-II?

simplemonkey

Member I
Hey All...
I need a pedestal guard for my E35II 1979. Problem is, all I can find are guards with 9.5inch widths. Due to the design of the 35II, the pedestal sits just aft of the mainsheet traveler on the cockpit "separation" partition. I feel that this prevents the pedestal guard from being positioned forward of the pedestal, thus, it seems that it must go over the top of the pedestal. Since the engine controls are on either side of the pedestal, there needs to be at least 12 inches of clearance between the guard posts. All I seem to be able to find is about 9.5 inches from any of the manufacturers. Could anyone who has solved this dilema please comment and/or offer suggestions. Thanks, David

SeaDog

Member II
David,
I had a local shop bend 1" tubing for the desired height and width. The cost, including four bolt mounting bases and backing plates was $125. I fabricated a support bracket, which mounts to the pedistal directly under the throttle/shift levers, out of 1/4 inch aluminum plate. I used rubber grommets between the 1" tubing and the plate. It now provides a convenient hand hold as well as a place to mount instruments.

Kirby
:egrin::D

simplemonkey

Member I
Kirby..
Thanks for the reply!! I was afraid I was going to have to go the fabrication route, but it looks like that is less expensive than the stock variety...
A couple of questions:
1) Do you still have the specifics on the measurements for the shop?
2) Did the make up a stainless unit or other material?
3) Did you buy stock mounting brackets, or were they fab'ed as well?

Thanks again,
David

SeaDog

Member II
David,
I don't have the dimensions handy but will get them the next time that I am at the boat (along with a photo or two). The tube is 1" stainless and the base mounts are standard off the shelf.

Kirby:egrin:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Ped guard

There may have been one made by Edson or Yacht Specialties for the 35-2. Have you checked? There may also have been one made by Railmakers in SoCal-you easily check and see if they made this for Ericson by calling them. If they made it, they can make you one. Worth a shot!

S