• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I saw an odd wheel today.

Glyn Judson

All, I saw a very strange ships wheel today on a newer Hunter 30 or 31. The best way to describe it would be to sat that it looks like a stainless tubing X with a normal radius curve on the top and bottom of the X. Then there are two large diameter stubs coming out from the hub at 3 o'clock and 9 o' clock. I swear I'm not making this up and will try to go to the boat tomorrow with my camera so you all can see it. Now here's my question. Does anyone know just what in the heck I'm looking at? Regards, Glyn E31 #55, Marina del Rey CA

bigtyme805

Member III
Ah, it helps to watch Bob Bithin's Lats & Ats TV show because he talks about this wheel. It is made by Edson and is the newest thing going into the new boat sector. It can be adjusted, so at any time so you can have the oblong shape on top so you can always see. I guess it works but sure does look funny.

Glyn Judson

Lewmar folding wheel

Mark, Right you are and sure enough when I Googled Lewmar, I saw their folding wheel right away. For your effort you've won a free day sail on the great Ericson 31, Emerald located not far from lovely downtown Annapolis, Maryland. Please contact the owner directly for details. Thanks, Glyn

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Think that was bizarre?

Check out "twheel" or "willer" on the ETAP series from Europe!!

Taken from ETAP website:

"EVS®-ETAP Vertical Steering system :

Instead of the standard tiller steering the ETAP 28s can be fitted with the revolutionary ETAP Vertical Steering (EVS®) system. The boat is steered via an ergonomically-shaped control, which moves in the vertical plane athwartships. The EVS® system combines the advantages of tiller and wheel steering, while eliminating the typical disadvantages of both.It is supplied with two teak seats mounted on each side of the split pushpit and an emergency tiller.The optional mainsheet rail is then mounted in the cockpit forward of the EVS so that it easy for the helmsman to use. "

I could not find any pics, but have seen them-looks a bit like the control yoke on a WW II Spitfire fighter plane, and works about the same way...very odd!

S

Annapolis E-27

Member III
The ETAP EVS wheel

Here is a picture of the ETAP vertical steering system. I think I will stick to a wheel or tiller. This design must have come from Battlestar Gallactica.

Attachments

• EVS_34s.jpe
    EVS_34s.jpe
    55.3 KB · Views: 220

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Hahahahahaha! I just checked out the Edson wheel! I used to work on a loading dock driving a forklift. I can't help but think that somebody squashed some round wheels in shipping and then said "Hey, I've got an idea!"
:D RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Guidance Systems"

Warning: Steering "Rant."

Interesting how each company selling $teering $ystems keeps coming up with new ways to overcome some of the built-in shortcomings of their devices.
In wanting to: 1) move the "manual guidance" part of sailing deck gear away from the drinking/lounging part of the cockpit, and 2) provide a car-familiar steering sensation to clueless newbies who have never sailed any small boat, the builders have to continually improve the compromised result.
The obvious (!) answer would be to make tiller steering standard again, but that would adversely impact their bottom line at Edson, et al.

Anyone one want to guess what the OEM price is on Edson steering gear? (Hint: there will be little resemblence to the retail prices we see. Kind of like Volvo darned near giving away their diesels to OEM's over the decades and charging a fortune for parts and replacements to make it up...) :devil:

And, it's more complicated, even, than that --- To boost sales, since the slump in the 80's, sail boats mostly have hull forms like power boats to greatly increase interior accomodations. This squaring off of the stern causes steering problems that would be glaring to any potential buyer, whether experienced or just starting out. The solution is to put in steering systems, like wheels, that greatly multiply driver input force and negate the feedback.

Your Ericsons, as the general rule, will steer with minimal force due to hull shapes designed for sailing efficiency. If it were not for the need to sell boats to inexperienced beginners in the 80's, they would likely have kept tillers as standard up through the 34 or 35 footers. Note that the Holland designs and the Olsons all had tillers standard with wheels as an option.
:rolleyes:
Rant mode off. Grumble grumble.

The oblong wheel was on display at Strictly Sail this April at Oakland, BTW.
And, as a counterpoint, in the water there, was a new Hanse 34 with the (optional in the USA) tiller! I do not like everything about the interior layout of that boat, but the cockpit and deck was definitely sailing-influenced, even to having a traveler choice of cockpit-spanning or housetop.

I would love to have seen the later Ericsons with these choices on deck and cockpit... :D

Oh well.... life moves on.

For the two that read this far, thank you. Time for my morning coffee.

See you at the next rendezvous!

Loren

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
driving sideways

Warning: Steering "Rant."

Interesting how each company selling $teering $ystems keeps coming up with new ways to overcome some of the built-in shortcomings of their devices.
In wanting to: 1) move the "manual guidance" part of sailing deck gear away from the drinking/lounging part of the cockpit, and ...

I recently saw some new Beneteau 373's with a pivoting helm. You pull a release and the wheel pivots 90 degrees to one side so that it's more out of the way when entertaining. The linkage still works when it's locked sideways.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Hear is my 2 bits worth. I purchased the Lewmar folding wheel 1 year ago. As far as I am concerned, this is one of the greatest inventions ever made for a sail boat. I am the main cook onboard when BBQing. And the extra room getting back and forth from the stern to the cabin is just great when tied up or anchored out. Or just having a whole gagle of folks in the cockpit for a visit, it works just fine and dandy.

That's the good news, yep they cost a bunch (the bad news) but I feel it is definately worth it. There may be other brands out there now but I am not sure.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I can't speak to the sailing qualities of modern designs as I haven't sailed them.... However, there is no way I would EVER even consider going back to a tiller after using a wheel. If the boat is big enough is the obvious issue. You can step away from a wheel to tend to other duties and the boat will continue on course, generally. Can't to that with a tiller. Going to weather I can trim the E38 and it will just stay on course indefinitely. Can't do that with a tiller. I understand that there are mechanisims and tiller pilots to allow this with a tiller setup but that is more stuff to deal with. I'm tiller-free from now on on my big boats. RT

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Rob, kind of off the subject but don't you just love the "balance" our Ericson's have. Kind of fun to get "unfamiliar with Ericson's Sailors" behind the wheel and watch them oversteer for awhile. Then just tell them to "take your hands off the wheel and watch the look on their faces when the boat just gracefully works it's way ever so slightly port and starboard to stay in it's Sweet Spot. People just don't get it until they experience an Ericson. I have never been on an Ericson with a tiller but I bet its a sweet ride as well.