• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Reason for Outboard Bracket?

Joe

Member II
The PO had the outboard installed on the bracket shown in the attached image, even though the transom has the cutout. Could anybody give me some possible reasons this was done?

Thanks,
Joe Williams

Attachments

• ask.jpg
    ask.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 152

Sven

Seglare
The PO had the outboard installed on the bracket shown in the attached image, even though the transom has the cutout. Could anybody give me some possible reasons this was done?

If that is a 23 (looks like it might be, I've changed my mind, the waterline is too low to be a 23 ?) the cut-out is not standard and I assume it opens right into the cockpit !? In a following sea I'd be terrified of that arrangement, especially given the notoriously slow drainage. I also wonder how the cutout might effect the structural integrity of the transom.

Now please send me my $0.02 :)

-Sven

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Outboard Bracket

Joe, My assumption for the bracket is for only three possible reasons; 1. The previous owner had a short shaft outboard and needed to lower it. 2. The outboard motor was too large for the factory cutout. 3. He needed more control of the boat by using the motor. The final reason is what I believe to be most likely. I have just a cutout on my E-25 and have placed a Merc 8 hp on the boat. I really have very little turning radius with the motor, more so turning to port than starboard, so left turns are a hell of a lot easier, sounds Nascar-ish. I also hit the rudder with the prop, yearly. I have a idea on a device that will stop this from occuring, but have just not gotten around to making it. I also believe that there is no issues with following seas in your area. My boat is on a lake where we have 4 footers and have very little H2O come over the cutout. I will say when motoring and 4 people aboard I have had water over the cutout and up to the middle of the cockpit and occured no problems.
Thanks for your post on the settee, I tried to get the pics before with no luck. Rob Hessenius

Last edited: