• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 island hopping

CaptnNero

Accelerant
For my wife and I, it appears that the next chapter of our lives is about five years off. We'd like to spend a few winters island hopping in the Caribbean. We're comfortable with the interior room on our E34 and it's suitability for Chesapeake cruising. This Caribbean plan brings to mind a few questions: Is a 1988 E34 seaworthy enough for this cruising goal ? Are there some rigging or other seaworthiness upgrades that would be appropriate ? Or should we just be cashing out and getting a more substantial vessel before we finally shove off ?

Whatever vessel we end up with, we'll be getting a blue water survey well ahead of time to make sure things are in shape for the task.

I expect that we'll be heading down the ICW, crossing over to the Bahamas, and then meandering down the islands eventually as far south as the Grenadines before heading back north.

I did some searching in the forum but was overwhelmed with the hits related to this so maybe I wasn't specific enough in my search.

I'd certainly appreciate experienced views on this plan. I'd like to start doing some financial and logistics planning now so when it's time for us, we can be ready. Thanks in advance. :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"No Problemo" as they say...

Seaworthy enough? Sure. A sistership recently went down to Central America.
A larger "gray area" for your planning might be day-to-day liveability ... like storage and tankage...
And then there is just the amount of cubic feet you each need as a minimum to rattle around in to avoid cabin fever.
For instance, my wife and I could be quite happy in a Santa Cruz 53C, if I could find the 800K to spend on it... :D

Some friends of ours did a two year cruise to Cental America and back to the NW with a much older Islander 34 that they refurbished before leaving -- except for an old diesel -- which in turn died and was replaced while in Mexico... :rolleyes:

You still have Lots of time to plan and equip, per your stated schedule. Maybe you can get in contact with the couple from this list/site that has returned from cruising in an E-34...
I do not have an email address for them, but others here probably do.

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Yes, but think about this

Generally, your boat is more than up to the trip. I would add running backstays, a GREAT autopilot, and the usual electrical beefup (and bigger cockpit drains).

My biggest suggestion is routing. No problem going down the ICW, but consider NOT Island hopping down there. It is DEAD UPWIND-the WHOLE WAY. very rough at times in the Trades. MUCH better to jump off from Charleston, Beaufort, etc. and go due East for about 500-700 miles-until you pick up the trades and can reach down to any of the Islands from St. Thomas and beyond. You can even do this from South Florida, and have only a day or 2 of upwind/close reaching-after which you can sail due East until the NE trades fill and you can fetch the Islands. Yes, you are offshore for a few days, but you will arrive sooner and with less wear and tear-then you can island hop all the way home on a nice mellow reach-run!!! You might want to pick up an experienced crew for the offshore part-there are tons of delivery skippers who have done this run many times floating around Annapolis and points South..
Have a ball!!

S

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Generally, your boat is more than up to the trip. I would add running backstays, a GREAT autopilot, and the usual electrical beefup (and bigger cockpit drains).

My biggest suggestion is routing. ...

Thanks Seth, I'll look into these things. As you say, I'm sure I can pick up experienced delivery crew around Annapolis and such, In fact I know a few such captains but I wasn't thinking of going offshore until now that you explained it.

Someone recently recommended a book about an easy cruising path downn south but I forgot to write the name down. I remember it has "path" in the name. At least I do remember who told me so I can track them down too. Perhaps it describes a detailed strategy such as you recommended.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
I'm sure it will

I am quite sure the advice is similar. Since my last delivery down there was in the early 90's, I have long since lost/forgotten the waypoints for "turning south" from the various ports of departure on the East Coast-my last trip was from Beaufort, NC, but one of these guides can give you a very good idea. On a good 34 footer (like yours) it will be 3-5 days out, then a turn south for about the same time, I bet..

Some of the most fun is in the planning-enjoy!
S

kevin81

Member II
YES! you can do it

Neal,
I agree with the other posts - a E34 is capable of this type of journey. In future years I also plan to cruise the islands and have no doubt that a E34 can do it. Our biggest challenge will the Gulf of Mexico crossing from Galveston to Key West. I've talked to many who have made the crossing is "lesser" boats. Once there the island sailing is usually easier (than the gulf crossing).

Below is a website co-founded by one of my former marina neighbors, Rob Lucey. There are links to Boat Tales member sites. Rob and his wife Jo departed in s/v "Sea Spell" in 2003 and ended their cruise this year in NC. As you can see by their logs, they sailed to Trinidad and back northward. There are several good reads in their website. Another interesting site is the logs and pictures of the s/v "Curentlee Aweigh" This is a cruise with a father and his newly graduated from high school daughter in 2004 and 2005.

The website is www.boattales.com/company/websites.php

Have fun surfing and dreaming!
Kevin
s/v Serenidad E34

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Interesting log from Currentlyaweigh. They mention "Every single hatch leaked...not the dripping kind of leak, more like gallons pouring in at a time. The engine died twice and dad spent about 1/2 of the trip in there trying to fix it."

This was their first leg from City Island NY to Bermuda. I havent read more but I hope it gets better... Good stuff. Remember to clean out your fuel tank and rebed those hatches before heading offshore guys...

CaptnNero

Accelerant
water, water everywhere

This was their first leg from City Island NY to Bermuda. I havent read more but I hope it gets better... Good stuff. Remember to clean out your fuel tank and rebed those hatches before heading offshore guys...

This is interesting stuff. I've heard about leaks and the mess it can cause over time. I'd like to know how well our original Lewmar portlights will hold up to boarding waves.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Another gem

Another tip since you mentioned cleaning the fuel tanks:

Once I have topped the fuel tank(s) and tightened the deck fitting, I always spread some Vaseline around the deck fitting before departure. These deck fittings can and do leak, and water contamination in the fuel from waves rolling accross the deck is a real issue-the engine will not run very well with water in the fuel!

Using Vaseline makes a good, easily-cleaned off seal around the deck fitting and keeps the water out-it works!!

S

kevin81

Member II
A follow up on the log of s/v Currentlyaweigh - it is NOT an Ericson! As you read on in other logs there were other problems during the cruise.

I can say that the Lewmar hatches on my E34 have had a few very minor leaks but never a problem. We've been in some very strong downpours and rough seas and the hatches were not a concern.

Kevin
s/v Serenidad

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Once I have topped the fuel tank(s) and tightened the deck fitting, I always spread some Vaseline around the deck fitting before departure. These deck fittings can and do leak, and water contamination in the fuel from waves rolling accross the deck is a real issue-the engine will not run very well with water in the fuel!
S

Sounds like a prudent precaution. A little effort protecting the fuel can go a long way.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
A follow up on the log of s/v Currentlyaweigh - it is NOT an Ericson! As you read on in other logs there were other problems during the cruise.

I can say that the Lewmar hatches on my E34 have had a few very minor leaks but never a problem. We've been in some very strong downpours and rough seas and the hatches were not a concern.

Kevin
s/v Serenidad

I think that was a Beneteau 41. I've heard of lesser portlights passing water when hit by waves.