• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Flopper Stopper plans?

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
It's a roll attenuation device, right? Like the "birds" on a fishing boat?

You could certainly just hang an anchor off the boom in the water. Or hoist something heavy to the top of the mast (that will increase the period of the roll). I don't think that stuff really works all that well though.

Not sure if the commercially available products work either. I haven't tried any. I just make a point of finding an quiet anchorage whenever possible.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
It's a roll attenuation device, right? Like the "birds" on a fishing boat?

You could certainly just hang an anchor off the boom in the water. Or hoist something heavy to the top of the mast (that will increase the period of the roll). I don't think that stuff really works all that well though.

Not sure if the commercially available products work either. I haven't tried any. I just make a point of finding an quiet anchorage whenever possible.

Displacement sailboats already have that great big mass in the keel and the mast itself, so I don't think hanging something from the mast even as long as it is would matter much. Also, the keel has a bunch of lateral drag which would reduce roll somewhat. Besides, if you do hang something up there you need to do something so it won't cause any damage.

I've seen the flopper stoppers on powerboats with their wave conforming non-displacement hulls but never on a sailboat. I suppose it might be worthwhile on a catamaran sailboat because of the power boat like wave conforming behavior.

HGSail

Member III
I don't have plans, But we use them all the time out here on the left coast. I have one but I'm repairing it now. I can post pictures later.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

CaptnNero

Accelerant
I don't have plans, But we use them all the time out here on the left coast. I have one but I'm repairing it now. I can post pictures later.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

When you do that this thread may lead to some flopper-stopper envy ! ;)

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
flopper stopper tales

Ian,
Why don't you check out a Davis flopper stopper? See http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=00352
They seem to be pretty cheap - $27 -45, approx. They appear to be very light.

I have two flopper stoppers. One is a Magma & the other is brand unknown. I have used them, but had problems. The problems might have been related to my specific boat design, or was it my deployment technique? They are also a bit heavy. But they DO reduce the roll.

The problem; my boat is a fractional rig with quite a bit of pre-bend to the mast. These things are deployed from the end of the boom, swung out abeam. The halyard supports the end of the boom. Our setup apparently caused the mast to fflex, then spring back. I doesn't sound like a big deal, but after hours of this, wee small hours of the am, the boat had completely swung around, 180 degrees from the wind & swell & all the other boats! Oh, did I mention we also had a stern anchor out! That stern anchor was completely dragged around to the opposite side of the anchorage. It could have been bad if the achorage was more congested.

An by the way, this happened on two different occasions, so it was no fluke!

Keith
E-33

Guy Stevens

Milk Crates

Milk Crates, the good ones that you get from the milk truck guy when you offer to take him sailing, not the ones that you buy at the hardware store.

A couple of pieces of light plastic, which is flexiable thin stuff.

Zip ties.

A good knowledge of some basic knots to make a bridle.

Cut the plastic to fit the bottom of the milk crate, place the plastic in the milk crate. Punch holes in the edges of the plastic allowing a good margin for strength. Zip tie the plastic to the bottom of the milk crate. With a sharp knife cut the plastic on the diagonal from each of the four corners to the corner diagonally opposite it.

Tie the bridal system to the top using some STRONG knots and GOOD Fairly non stretch line.

Hang outboard on spin poles etc when you want to use them. When you don't organize that aft locker space using the milk crates, just don't mess up the plastic.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
usage profile

Milk Crates, the good ones that you get from the milk truck guy when you offer to take him sailing, not the ones that you buy at the hardware store.

This is great forum stuff. Roll your own.

I'm curious as to when people tend to use these. Do people on the left coast whip them out just for a rolly overnight or is it more for long term anchoring ?

On the Chesapeake one might be able to combine Guy's milk crate device with a crab trap for even more payback. ;)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Rocker Stoppers & Roll Controls

I think the term is Rocker Stoppers or Roll Controls

I have seen them used quite a bit at Catalina Island at some of the less protected anchorages. Usually on the bigger boats not using a public mooring, but at anchor. Some times they are as simple as swinging the boom out to one side and a spinnaker or whisker pole on the other side and tying buckets with holes in them to the boom and pole. The off the shelf types are usually stainless rectangular plates that are hinged.

I have thought about rigging something up a few times but it looks like a bit of a hassle. I am usually at the Island for only 2 or three nights. If I were to be at anchor for longer I might consider it.

Attachments

• 22138_f.jpg
    22138_f.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 124479.jpg
    124479.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 9,909

CaptnNero

Accelerant
proximity preventers

...Some times they are as simple as swinging the boom out to one side and a spinnaker or whisker pole on the other side and tying buckets with holes in them to the boom and pole. ...

Jeff, the mere sight of a boat with projecting poles looks like a good way to discourage others anchoring too close ! ;)

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I seen em!

Well, what can I say, but they are quite common at Catalina & Channel Islands where we all have quite a bit of swell action at unprotected areas. Usually the boom and poles are not swung all the way out. Maby only 20 degrees or so, but that's how they do it. I seen em!

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
The "Rock 'n Roll"™ Boat Stabilizer.

The "Rock 'n Roll"™ Boat Stabilizer.
R10-702* 36" (91.5 cm)*
Our patented hydrodynamic design breakthrough relies on shape rather than heavy weight, making it more efficient and easier to handle.* Our proven hinged-wing stabilizer operates silently without noisy flapper valves or vanes to keep you awake at night.* So remarkably effective, it actually reduces motion sickness and accidents caused by uncomfortable wind and sea conditions.* For use on sailboats, the Rock & Roll may be attached to a "swing out" boom or to a spinniker pole.* (See thumbnail).** Storage/carrying case included with stabilizer
United States Patent No. 5,095,839
R10-702
• Fully open 36" x 21" (91.5 cm x 53 cm) 756 square inches resistance (4878 sq. cm)*• Folds flat for storage 10 -1/2" x 36" x 3" (27 cm x 91.5 cm x 7.5 cm) *• Includes dacron bridle assembly*• Weighs only 18 lbs. (8 kg) *• Complete with attractive rugged storage case
NOTE:* "Rock'n'Roll"* Boat Stabilizers "DO NOT INCLUDE" depth control or retrieval lines.

http://www.magmaproducts.com/Products/Marine_Products/Stabilizer/body_stabilizer.html

Attachments

• RockNRoll.jpg
    RockNRoll.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 7,218

Ian Hay

Member I
Thanks

Nice to see all the responses. The milk crate idea is the closest for what I am looking for. The boat is in Panama and it costs a bit to ship things down here so a self made one is my plan. I am heading out into the Pacific in a while and I have heard there are a lot of rolly anchorages along the way.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Interesting. I wonder if a "flopper stopper" would work off the bow or stern? Why you ask? Well my E38 doesn't roll very much but it does have a tendency to "hobby horse" when at anchor. It can get really bad if the wave pattern is just right. RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I could have used a flopper stopper last week in the BVIs. Our Bendytoy would roll constantly. It was not the motion that kept me awake, it was all the creaking the boat did. I thought the thing might fall apart.

My wife asked why our boat doesn't make all those noises and then she immediately realised the answer.

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
I am in need of a flopper stopper - '85 E28 ... any advice or + products "out there" .. ?

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

unequaltee

Member II
I made a flopper stopper from a triangular piece of plywood for my old 25ft gaff rigged boat, From memory about 20” on each side. It had a rope bridle to holes in each of the corners and a piece of lead fixed along one edge. It worked extremely well on that boat hung from the end of the 16 foot boom . Don’t know if it would be so efficient l on a boat with a proportionally shorter one . But its cheap so maybe have one off the spinny pole the other side.
Ian