• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-III Starboard list

treilley

Sustaining Partner
After cruising for the last 10 days, I have noticed a pronounced list to starboard. Waterline is about an inch or so lower on starboard side. I think it was always there. Is this a common trait to this boat? If so, how is it resolved? I have tried moving gear and filling tanks in different ways.

A friend of mine has an E34 and had Bruce King aboard for a sail 20 years ago when he bought the boat new. Bruce noticed a list and had the boatyard install 400lbs of ballast.

Kim Schoedel

Member III
As you can see, we share the same boat (ours is an 84). We have no list to either side. Now we do have the extra water tank which was an option I think when new. Not sure if the original standard tank was port or starboard. But we do keep both tanks fairly full and draw from both at the same time. Maybe try drinking the beer instead of storing it? Sorry I can't be of more help on this one.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Thanks Kim. We have port, starboard and forward waters tanks. BTW, the forward one will be removed in the off season.

I tried drinking all the beer and bourbon and the list went away but mysteriously returned the next day.:cheers:

The only thing I can think of is maybe the fuel tank which is now about half compared to full in the beginning of the season but I would not think that to make much difference.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
lead

If you search the forum you will find some other discussion of this. Basically lead costs about $1 per pound plus shipping. I fastened #220 lbs at the bottom of the aft cabin port locker of our E32-200 and it worked fine. That vessel had 2-3 inches of list. You need to find a place near amidships on the port side to firmly attach it to. Some people glass it in.

If you want to DIY then lead can be gotten very cheaply at recycling centers or possibly free as old wheel weights from tire stores. In either case you will need to smelt it, skim off the contaminants, and cast it into manageable ingots. Smelting fumes are a serious issue but lead melts at about 600 degrees so it is doable.

Getting just the right amount in the right place takes some careful experimenting. We waited for a very calm day in the slip.

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Went out to the boat today to do some cleaning after our criuse and noticed no list anymore. I guess all the storage space being on the stbd side was what caused the list.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
My 35-3 listed about one to two degrees to starboard. Over the years, I've noticed that most of the larger Ericsons have this in common. Many people carry less water in their starboard tanks, add some weight on the port side, etc.

//sse