• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Help, please, with varnish colour

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I recently sanded the teak handrails down to bare wood, and refinished with four coats of varnish. I think it looks quite good, sort of a sandy brown satin finish; however, my wife thinks it is too light in colour and wants it to look the colour of the interior teak--more of a red/brown colour. :esad:

I don't really want to sand it down to bare wood and start all over with a stain/varnish combination. :( Is there any brand of varnish that's more amber or darker in colour that might darken the teak enough with a few extra coats? Any other ideas?
Thanks,
Frank.

Shadowfax

Member III
Frank,

There is varnish available that has color to it, but I think you will find it subtle and it will also have a tendency to cloud the look of the wood. You can also add color yourself to the varnish. It is better to stain the wood and then apply the varnish so that the varnish acts as a protector of the wood and its color. I understand that after all the work you have done already you don’t want to go that route, so whatever you do, try a test spot first to make sure you don’t make the situation worst. The wood will darken with age through the varnish, so you can tell your wife that if the other options don’t work out.