• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Long Distance Crew Opportunity

Dan Hayes

Member III

If you might be interested in crewing on a 39 foot sailboat from Oakland to San Pedro the first week of September, go to the "Looking for Offshore Passage Experience?" thread in the "Cruising and Racing" section.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
successful trip?

Hey Dan,

Nice to see you on the water the other day. Sorry I was coming in when you were going out, I had other obligations for that afternoon..

I was wondering if your friends found crew and had a successful and un eventful trip down the coast. I was keeping an eye on the wind on the Central Coast and it looked like the wind was piping up pretty good with a couple small craft advisories. What type of boat was it any way?:confused:

Dan Hayes

Member III
Yes, the boat made it safely from Oakland to San Pedro. They had a (fortunately) un-eventful trip, with enough fog and other weather conditions to test the new electronics, and enough light weather to do a bit of motoring. They came in to Port San Luis completely under instruments, and did quite a bit of motorsailing in total fog. They said Point Conception was a bit hairy, with 7-9 foot combined seas and 20-25 knot winds. Once they reefed down, they were just fine, but some crew got sick from the motion.

They had a crew of only 3, so they were busy. I would have loved to join them, but like most people, couldn't get off work.

The boat is a Cavalier 39, a New Zealand boat built for fast sailing and heavy weather, and Andy has berthed it at Cabrillo Marina over near you. I'll take you by to meet him and see the boat some time.

Good seeing you the other day - I was out just for a spin to run the engine for an hour or so - I have to go full throttle for awhile to get the Universal up to operating temp, and I make sure to do that at least every two weeks.

Hope to get out sailing next month - unfortunately, booked every weekend until then! Maybe Buccaneer Days? Have to get my liver in shape for that!

There are a lot of Ericsons in LA Harbor, still think we should do a mini-rendevous this fall or winter.

Take care,

-dh