• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winterize, Cockpit Cover??

briangsmith

Member II
well, up here in homer alaska the season is fast
drawing to a close.. my first winter leaving her
in-- and we obviously get snow and ice.

advice/checklist on how to best winterize my
E-25? (centerboard) any thoughts on cockpit
cover?? can the rest of the boat be left as is?
(stripped of sail and running rigging of course)

thanks all~

brian smith
s/v SPARKLE PLENTY
homer, ak

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Winterize

Brian- I must first say that I have never left a boat in the water for the winter, only because here in WI you cant. I think we are the only people on the board that are not out on the water this weekend.
Here are my thoughts about a cockpit cover: I would have one (a square piece) over the companionway to protect water that could make its way into the cabin and fill the bilge. I too have a E-25 CB and when it pours I end up with a gallon or two in the bilge. I would love to have a boat cover that looks like a pup tent, but too much cha ching for me
I would also put some sort of heat tape in the bilge to keep water from freezing if intrusion occurs, dumps some anti freeze in the bilge also and set your bilge switch higher than that at least. Rudder and motor off. I would also make a 1 piece board to replace the four companionway boards, geez I should practice what Im preaching, note to my self do this. Winterize your water tanks and head if still installed and remove all food and liquidsa that can freeze and make one big F$^$%g mess to clean up, note to myself again. Take the boom off, my thoughts are, why leave it on in the elements and just out of the slightest odds some prick steals it.
****Important to close all of your seacocks!!! 8 out of 10 sinkings in the winter are caused by a broken hose!
Check out your batteries and charger that they will work for you if needed it be called upon.
Brian Im sure there will be more help on the way these are just a few of what I would think about> My winter expierience from last year was that you cant see black ice when its on the road and you sure as hell cant see it when its on your cockpit floor either. Watch yourself when you board the boat for whatever reasons. Best of luck , Rob Hessenius E-25CB Hull # 88