• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E35-3 - Waterline Off or To The Bootstripe?

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I'm getting ready to haul out my E35-3 to do the bottom again - and have always kept that space of gelcoat beneath the boot stripe clear (not painted) as that was the original design.

Several people have suggested I paint up to the bootstripe to raise the bottom paint above the "scum line". How many of you have done this - painted over that area just below your boot stripe?

Thanks,
//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Movin' up the Line...

I had to move the line up on our prior boat, a Niagara 26. First I brought the bottom paint up the the bottom of the stripe. Then I moved it again about another inch up, effectively thinning the stripe by almost half.
On the Olson 34, we have moved the paint up to the bottom of the stripe. I know of several different classes of boat that have had their bottom paint top moved up -- -- seems like a common problem.
Perhaps the builders like to use a DLW that does not account for normal addtions to the in-use weight, like drinking water, fuel, spares, cans of Dinty Moore stew, etc, etc.

:confused:

Loren

Brisdon

Inactive Member
When I did my blister job last year on our 35-2 I kept that damned little half inch of white gel coat under the boot stripe and that was a big mistake. This factory water line wasn't established for people with a lot of crap on their boats. I scrape that stripe every week with the edge of a credit card to get the marine growth off of it. Next time I haul, the bottom paint is going a third of the way up the boot stripe. So much for authenticity!