• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

On line or Mail Order West Coast Parts Supplier for Yanmar?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
On line or Mail Order West Coast Parts Supplier for Yanmar?

I am looking for a On line or Mail Order West Coast Parts Supplier for my Yanmar 1GM10. The only places I can get parts around San Pedro and Long Beach are S & W Diesel, RS Marine and Bosun's Locker. These places usually have to order the parts. The only on line company I can find is: http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/yanmar/shopping/

They for some reason can't sell or ship to the West Coast.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah, Tom

I guess they are not a distributor. The site just sent me back to Boatswain's Locker and unfortunately they don't stock much. It's hard to believe there is no where you can order Yanmar parts on line for the west coast. I'm still looking.

Thanks

Emerald

Hmmmm,

This doesn't sound good. Give them a call anyway since they say no customer is too small on their home page. The result can't be any worse than where you are, and I thought a friend of mine placed an order with them recently, but maybe they were just referred to a dealer who had the item in stock :confused:

-David
Independence 31
Emerald

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Here's the article referenced above (in the event that something happens to the link, mind you...;) )..

//sse

Attachments

• WestMarine_Article_Aug-8-2006.pdf
    17.5 KB · Views: 147

CaptnNero

Accelerant
WM and the web

This will be interesting to see how it plays out. The advantage WM has had is convenience with all of the storefronts and stock at the expense of price. Now if they are looking to the web their pricing will have to drop to stay in the game. For big ticket items I print out a few competitors with lower prices and bring them to the local WM store. They'll match the lowest (including shipping). Then I have to pay sales tax but after the rewards club bucks it's a wash and I have the part in hand with a local store in case I have to return it. I often end up paying 20% less than the WM list price. The rewards club bucks cover numerous quick maintenance costs and their store is in our marina.

On the other hand if I am ordering over the web a small company can have as big a web storefront as WM, so the WM convenience goes away, as does the negotiation aspect. If they don't lower prices on the web I still won't be ordering from them.

Sell short.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
In the process of restoring two boats over the past six years, It seems to me that WM increases their prices about 10% or even as much as 20% on some items per year. I try to find other sources for what I need when ever possible. One example is that a item priced at $50. at WM can be found at Boaters World for $5. or $10 less. I have saved a lot by buying big ticket electronic items at OnlineMarine.com . WM wanted $600 for one such item and I got it for $450. at OnlineMarine.com .

WM's prices are just outrageous now.

This is a Rant!:soapbox:

I will admit that if they close our little WM in San Pedro, CA I will miss the connivence for getting the little things quickly.

Graham Cole

The Zoomer
I hope you all don't mind foregoing any after sales service or support for those products you got on the net with a small savings! I will routinely inform a customer that I will not provide any free after install services on products acquired on the net or out of area. ( on issues not arising from installation) I fully understand that this will cause people to say they will work with someone else... I don't care! I have a full plate as it is. Please remember that when your local supplier is gone due to net savings, we will be rather hooped as boaters. I rather doubt that I will be able to get a visit from a qualified technician at 5pm on a friday from defender.com! Yes, this is a rant from an electronics installer in his 12th glorious yr.

The best way to have a painless boating experience is to form a relationship with your supplier and installer. Demonstrate loyalty and pay a fair price, recognizing the cost of being in business these days. Then, when you are desperate on a friday afternoon with the hope of getting away on the cruise you have been anticipating fading rapidly, cash in that loyalty you have shown to your local people. They may just save your a**! I think you will agree that when that tradesperson shows up and rescues your vacation, all the thoughts of the few percent you could have saved on the net or beating up suppliers on cost will seem insignificant. Thank you for enduring a small business technicians rant. I am spent. (this comes after a small marine company in North Vancouver is closing after 45 yrs because they can't compete with the 'net. People were quite happy to go there and complain about their problems, however! One more local source of technical support and help for us boaters is lost

Last edited: