• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-2 strut

kdr

While I was being hauled last year, the lifting strap was on the shaft slightly bending the strut. I would like to heat it and attempt to tweak with a large pipe wrench.

I am wondering about the structural integrity of the strut. Has anyone had a reason to remove/replace/straighten. thanks

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Yard break... Yard Fix!" (?????)

By definition, this should already fixed by the yard that did the lift. (Unless they went out of business right after they damaged your boat...)

The fix would depend on the damage --i.e. how much of a bend. I suspect that the strut would need to be removed and replaced. Have you been motoring with it "bent"?
Like any piece of cast metal, putting external stress on it could weaken it.
If you apply heat with a torch, damage to the laminate would be a real concern, it seems to me.
Maybe some engineers with bronze casting expertise can weigh in here.

Best,

Loren

Steve

Member III
They Fix

I'm sure your like most of us -jump right in and fix it.. looks minor No problem - right? WRONG!

The yard should have liability insurance for this very purpose, they broke it they have to return it to "reasonable like kind" which means you get an estimate that determines a repair or prehaps a full strut replacement. If the yard is avoiding this, try your own insurance, they should stand behind you and send an adjuster and begin the fix or replace process then recover from the yard's insurance company legally!

Once you dink with it they will argue YOU made it worse or damaged it beyond reasonable repair.. letting them off the hook!

Don't touch.. take photos and start screaming!

Steve

David M Tomasso

strut repair

Do not try to bend back.cast bronze does not have a memory and will break.Iit must be replaced. The advice you got about the yard is correct.

Duncan

Member I
If you have to replace the strut, what about replacing the bronze strut with a stainless one? A friend did that and thought it was a better idea.