• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Old gas + new gas equals cloudy gas

Gary Freeburg

Member II
I recently finished sailing my E27 from Annapolis to Deltaville. Before leaving the upper bay I topped off my tank with fresh gasoline and had a great sail to Solomon's except for an hour or so on the old Atomic 4 when the wind died away. My question is that the engine was not happy and ran rather rich and quit running several times. Naturally, I checked the fuel, fuel filter, air filter, etc. I found all filters looked good but the fuel was very cloudy. I was told that last years gasoline and this years are different being that ethanol is now a part of the equation (10%) in what we buy. Anyone else having trouble with their fuel? Any solutions? Maybe I should just empty the tank and start fresh?

Thanks,

Gary Freeburg
SV KATMAI

Joe Benedict

Member II
This is apparently a big problem out east - here in the mid-west we have had ethanol for a long time so we are well past the initial shock. The ethanol is being used to replace a very toxic gas additive. Boat U.S. has been following this in there magazine If you know someone who is a member it's worth reading. In addition to the color you may experience carburetor and fuel filter problem either as a result of deposits being resuspended or desolving of fiberglass (plastic) components. Some fiberglas tanks may be a problem. If the gas was real cloudy you may have had water in the tank which mixed with the ethanol. You probably will end up flushing the system but make sure the components are compatable with the ethanol. Although not required, I use a lead substitute. The engine runs a lot cooler and quieter.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
local clouds

This spring a slipmate with a power boat was reporting the cloudiness problem right after he added new gas to last year's gas. He said that it never happened before. He was talking about this ethanol thing but I didn't take it seriously.