• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Reefing Cheek Block Wanted - E29

Art

Member I
I am looking for another reefing cheekblock like the one in the attached photo for my 1978 Ericson 29. The boom has a slot that runs its entire length on the starboard side. The current cheek block slides in this slot and is set up for the first set of reef points. I want to set up a second set of reef points. If anyone has one of the blocks, please let me know and I can give you the dimensions of the slot.
Thanks very much.

Attachments

• Cheekblock.JPG
    Cheekblock.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 207

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Do yourself a favor

Lose the cheek blocks completely-all they do is give you the chance of havimg a poorly led reef line. They must be located VERY precisely to work properly.

The best way is to take the reef line as it exits the end of the boom, go right up to the reef point(s), and then come straight down and tie around the boom with a bowlne or reef knot. If you have a loose footed main, it is very easy to do this (obviously). If you have foot slides, you can also do this easily-tie the reef line around the boom between the sail and the boom. If you have a foot rope on the sail, you can just cut an 8" slot in the foot about 1" up from the rope(and directly under the clew reefs). When you have time, take the sail to the loft and have the sailmaker sew a pece of webbing (with a matching slot) over the cut away material as a reinforcement.

The advantage is that you now have a self-adjusting reef line-it will naturally tighten up with the correct ratio of leech and foot tension-leaving you with a properly reefed sail. I have seen more mainsails damaged from having those blocks improperly located...also, you can do away with the weight and windage of the whole silly system.

It may seem "too simple", but it is what all the newer boats are doing!!

Enjoy!

S

Art

Member I
Hi Seth,
thanks for the response. Actually, my setup is exactly what my sailmaker (Vermont Sailing Partners - affiliated with Shore Sails) recommended and not dissimilar from your suggestion. I tied a bowline around the boom so it self-centers under the reef point. I have a new loose-footed main so this works well. I then ran the line up to the reef point, down to the cheek block at the end of the boom and then forward to a cleat near the mast where it can be easily handled. I am not sure where you suggest the reefing line be led from the end of the boom without a cheek block?
Art

ChrisS

Member III
I'm trying to fine tune the reef point system on my boat too. If there's no cheek block aft, how do you lead it forward towards the mast? My lines run outside of the boom.

--Chris