• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Edson pedestal maintenance

Willpatten

Member II
On my E38-200 I want to lubricate and inspect the chain and linkage to the steering quadrant. Here's a picture of my pedestal. Anyone know how to remove the compass?

Attachments

• Pedestal 1.JPG
    Pedestal 1.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Pedestal 2.JPG
    Pedestal 2.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 293

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Alignment magnets

I can't remember exactly but I started with the two screws holding the black piece on the front end. When you lift the stainless shield off, you'll see how to remove the compass. Be very careful not to disturb the pair of alignment magnets crisscrossing underneath the compass.

Willpatten said:
On my E38-200 I want to lubricate and inspect the chain and linkage to the steering quadrant. Here's a picture of my pedestal. Anyone know how to remove the compass?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.ritchienavigation.com/ca...105&pgid=F4A00D78-47CC-11D8-885F-C92F268E72FD

I have the same compass on our '88 boat with YS steering. This factory link appears to have some mounting instructions. I have removed the ss base and compass quite a few years ago, and as CaptNero sez, those two top screws are removed... I sort of remember them going all the way to the base...
(I could be wrong, though...)
:)

Good luck,

Loren

wurzner

Member III
You remove the 2 screws from the plastic housing the holds the light. These 2 screws (they are short) also hold the stainless besel in place so it can be removed once they are out. You will find that there are most likely 4 screws in the base that you may or may not have to remove. Try losening them amd rotating the compass counter clockwise. The holes have two sized so you can start the screws, mount the compass, and clock it into position. I had mine rebuild by the local Ritchie guy for about $200. He installed a comletely new stage that has much better dampning as well as an led light that cost about $25 dollars more. These compasses run around 800 so I figured it was worth it.

shaun

cawinter

Member III
writeup

Willpatten, you may want to look at a writeup I did on my steering system rebuild last year I believe. I can send it to you off-list if interested. The whole thing comes apart very nicely after the black light cover is off. The chain is easy to oil but getting to the linkage to the wires is hard unless you loosen the connections at the radial drive (I didn't have a quadrant). Nice project, and I now claim to have 'Rolex' steering...:) and people agree.

Willpatten

Member II
Thanks

Thanks for all the good advice. It appears that you all don't lubricate the steering chain annually. I thought that was routine.