• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Gasket Installation on Window Ports

J. Barthelmass

I received new window gasket material from Gareth, and am struggling to install. The two halves of the frame come within about one inch of mating, but no closer. I've tried using liquid soap as a lubricant, tapping gently with a rubber mallet, and everything else I can think of. The gasket material also has a tendency to bunch up and creep.
Does anyone know the trick to successfully getting the gaskets installed?

admirals barge

Member III
window gasket

hi J
i just went thru the proccess. what i found worked well was to use crazy glue.
i cut the ends at a 45 degree angle and put the seam on the top. i glued one end at the center then stretched the gasket so it went smoothly around the glass. i glued the gasket around the curves and where the window seams came together. i used some black silicone on the seam to make sure it was sealed.

make sure the tracks are clean. i installed the clips on the top frame. i used ky jelly to lubricate the seal. i put the top on first using a rubber mallet to help it along if neccessary. on the bottom half. i used 2 hand grip clamps to squeeze the two halves together otherwise you will be playing tetter totter.(put the clamps on the wide part of the frame not the outside of the frame). when they came together i secured the frame.

i repair rv's and we use butyl putty tape when installing windows in motorhomes, so that's what i used when i installed the windows on the boat.

i hope this helps J

good luck...happy sailing

greg
s/y dalliance
74 35 II # 325
wilmington,ca

Akavishon

Member III
I know this is an old thread, but the issue at hand seems timeless ... :egrin:

In short, I need silicone to create a seal between the gasket and the aluminum frame, but I think I also need some lubricant to be able to press the gasket into the frame track. Does vaseline (or dish soap) work as well as K-Y jelly? Are there any issues with the lubricant interfering with the sealing properties of the silicone?

thank you, Zoran

bob smith

I replaced my window seals on my ericson 27 with dish soap and I placed the window frames in my wood working clamps so you could apply pressure on seals evenly.worked well.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This was a long time ago, but I used a curved sailing needle to stitch the edges of the gasket together with dental floss.

Cutting the edges at a 45 degree angle is a great idea, I did NOT do that.

It is very important to make sure the seam goes on the upper half of the window. You'll get a leak every time if the seam goes down.

O_Scott

Where can I get the gasket material?

Granted this is an old thread, but its a timeless problem. Does anyone know where to source the gasket material for the opening Lewmar ports on the E38. Less critical but still wondered if anyone found a source to replace the crazed plastic ports themselves, ?Lewmar? Thanks.