• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rebuilding Navtec hydraulic backstay adjuster?

e38sailorman

Member II
Had my backstay adjuster rebuilt this spring, paid more then the going price mentioned here....anyway the guy who rebuilt it said the same as is discussed here uv damages the seals as well as dirt, salt, etc. Had my local canvas guy build me a "backstay condom" sunbrella and velcro with a string tie on the top protects from sun and dirt and takes ten seconds to put on and five to take off.

Marc
E38 WaveWalker
Gig Harbor WA

Akavishon

Member III
all done

Craig - thanks. I've taken the thing off the boat on Wednesday morning, and into a local shop. Fixed the same afternoon, back on the boat 36h later. Total came out to $285, and the tech recommended I have a sunbrella 'condom' tailored to cover the unit and piston. He also suggested that the piston warms up in the sun, and over time dries out and cracks the seal on top, so it's not just the salt and UV damage but also thermal.

Best, Zoran

Glyn Judson

Keeping heat off your back stay adjuster.

Zoran, Might I suggest that when asking to have a Sunbrella cover made for your adjuster, you consider having it made sandwiching closed cell foam on the inside? I have my engine controls, GPS and Autohelm mounted into the cockpit coaming and had a similarly constructed cover made to protect them from the sun. I asked the canvas maker to use 1/4" foam which works pretty well to keep the heat and UV effect on the instrument displays to a minimum. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

frostbiter

Rigger will rebuild Navtec backstay adjuster

I've used these guys for other rigging work as well. They are honest, reliable, responsive, and fairly priced:
Ocean Rigging
Captain's Cove Seaport
1 Bostwick Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06605
Office 800.624.2101
Rick Granville-Smith mobile 203.434.0820
Ian Williams mobile 203.219.0311​

Navtec went out of business Jan 2017. You can still get the seal kit from Offshore Spars http://www.offshorespars.com/

Last edited:

Brad Johnson

Member III
I've used these guys for other rigging work as well. They are honest, reliable, responsive, and fairly priced:
Ocean Rigging
Captain's Cove Seaport
1 Bostwick Avenue
Bridgeport, CT 06605
Office 800.624.2101
Rick Granville-Smith mobile 203.434.0820
Ian Williams mobile 203.219.0311​

Navtec went out of business Jan 2017. You can still get the seal kit from Offshore Spars http://www.offshorespars.com/

Do they do work on rod rigging, i do not have it but plenty of my friends do???