• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1974 E25 CB qustions

Ryan

1974 E25 CB questions

I am in the process of looking for another boat, and a local broker has got a 1974 E25 CB for sale that looks interesting. Is there anything specific about this boat that the group dislikes? I have read the posts that say to keep an eye out for the CB pin, etc, but is there anything bad about this boat in general, especially compared to a fixed keel boat? I have never had any dealings with a centerboard sailboat before and I wonder how much different it is compared to a fixed keel with regards to stability/tenderness and windward ability. I am sailing in an inland lake, so the ability to have a small draft would be nice, but I'm leery of more moving parts to fail. Any opinions on CB boats in general or this boat in particular would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ryan

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
E-25 Cb

Ryan- I have the same boat as this one that you are looking at. If you have any questions call me. 920.203.1876 Rob Hessenius

Bob in Va

Member III
Used to sail one...

A good friend of mine had one and it had very good sailing characteristics. I almost bought it from him, but ended up buying an E-23 centerboarder instead. Benefits: obviously, you can access shallower water, though the rudder then becomes your depth sounder; downwind you can crank the board up and gain a little speed - on my boat it averages about a 0.3 kt gain; you can crank the board part way up and take away some weather helm if desired; and a CB boat is much easier to haul and fit on a trailer. This last is a big advantage - I haul my boat in early winter and bring it home for all the projects I haven't gotten to when sailing took precedence. The fixed keel boats are probably a touch stiffer and some folks consider them to be a more pure design, but the centerboarder is more versatile and doesn't give up much in performance, if anything. Drawbacks: the board is made of dense foam formed around a steel plate "spine", wrapped with fiberglass. If any water gets into the interior (and it generally does in 30 years), the spine will rust, the foam and glass will crack, and repairs or replacement will become necessary. If you can get someone to make a replacement board, be prepared to spend in the region of $1,000 for it. I have patterns and have worked out plans for both E-23 and E-25 boards. Replacing the pin is relatively easy, assuming the boat is out of the water.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Rudder issues

Check the rudder for cracks as well. Our 74/E25 had a crack in the rudder about 10" below the tiller head. Sold it and bought a 71/E29 before I had to fix it.