• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leaking chain plates/stipped out holes

As other E27 owners have posted here I am receiving a considerable amount of topside water entering the cabin via the chain plates. For those not familiar with the E27 there are 3 chain plates on each side of the boat. Each chain plate has a stainless steel trim plate (perhaps 3 inches long by 1 inch wide) that slides down over the chain plate and attaches to the deck with 2 screws (not thru bolted as there is no access on the inside). It appears that the previous owners attempt to stem the flow of water was to tighten (over tighten) the screws holding the trim plate to the deck. My plan is to fill the void around the chain plate with boat caulk, make a rubber gasket to fit between the trim plate and the deck, and then tighten down the trim plates. Sadly many of the holes for the trim plates are stripped out. What advise can anyone provide to fill the existing holes with some material and make it so that I can tighten down the trim plates? Thanks in advance.

Jarod

Member III
Hi Island Girl

I have an E27 as well and I seem to be getting wet cushions whenever it rains. I have yet to pull off these covers you have mentioned, but I am suspicious that they may be the issue. I havent seen beneath the cover plates but what about using epoxy with a thickener such as colloidal silica. Would it be possible to fill and then screw into the epoxy. I havent looked yet so I am kinda taking a stab in the dark....oh yeah I meant to ask are your cushions getting wet as well?

Thanks

Jarod

simplemonkey

Member I
Right On Jarod

Epoxy/Col Silica was the answer on my E35-II...no more leaks!
Would recommend Don Casey's "Hull and Deck Repair" book....it answered all my questions!
Good Luck!
David

Jarod

Yes, wet cusions. Also you will probably find that you are accumulating water at the aft end of the quarter birth. In my case mostly related to leaking chainplates and a little bit due to leaking windows. The windows were easy to fix, following the wonderful directions located on this site.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Flexible caulking

Seems that putting something non-flexible would be asking for future problems. Remove the cover around the chain plate, then force something like boatlife caulking down the opening around the chainplate with a putty knife. Allow several hours curing time before you replace the cover. As far as the stripped holes, Drill oversize 3/8", fill with epoxy then re-drill for screws.

Glyn Judson

Sealing chainplate leaks.

Island Girl, Consider fixing those leaks in the following manner. 1. Temporarily remove the deck cover plate and shroud in question. Tape the threads on the turnbuckle so you can return them to their prior tension and just do your chainplates one at a time for safety. 2. Use a Dremel tool with a tapered stone fitted to cut a 3/16" to 1/4" deep, 45 degree chamfer into the deck glass around all four sides of the chainplate. 3. Blow the debris out (close your eyes when doing so), clean the area with acetone and let dry for a short while. 4. Apply a fillet of 3M 101 (black or white) to the chamfer and gently press the stainless cover plate down on it to create a little squeeze-out. 5. Walk away and let it cure for 24 hours. 6. Cut off the excess 3M 101 with a utility knife and screw the cover plate sown. If your plate screw holes are enlarged, drill out the hole slightly oversized to remove any debris and old bedding material and then fill the holes with epoxy using a plastic syringe and let cure. Redrill the hole and screw the plate down. Be sure to bed the screw threads too. The properties of 3M 101 are such as to bond to both the glass material of the side deck and your stainless or aluminum chainplates. Additionally, it remains flexible for life and is UV stable. It's pretty cool stuff that will stop those pesky leaks forever. Go for it, Glyn