• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Refinish cabin sole on #38-200

Willpatten

Member II
I've been told that the cabin sole on our E-38 is too thin to sand for refinishing. What's the best way to refinish the teak/holly sole?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Before I replaced mine, I stripped with a water-based paint remover (no fumes) and then gently scrubbed dirty areas with soap and water to get the dirt out.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
FWIW,
The PO of my E38 refinished the sole using the same method that Geoff described and it came out quite nice. Its not perfect, there are some watermarks, stains, etc. but it is still presentable and likely better than it was. Depends on how perfect you want it. RT

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
In my answer, I assumed your sole, like mine, could not be removed from the boat. If it can be removed I would recommend taking it home, stripping, cleaning, and coating all sides with penetrating epoxy before refinishing.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This site has a lotta "Sole"

Will,
You might want to do a Search on this site using words like 'cabin sole' -- pages of info and pictures to look over. As these boats all get to (and beyond) 20 years, everyone wants to protect and then bring back that "new look" to the teak and holly sole pieces. :)

Here is a current picture of a portion of ours, about 7ish years after the last time it was re-varnished... Dull but still a lot nicer than the mess of old oil, mold, gouges, and ground-in dirt that was there when we bought the boat in '94.

Best,
Loren

Attachments

• O-34 Sole aft section.jpg
    O-34 Sole aft section.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 314