• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Who What Where

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I can supply the "where" and that is all I know. We were unable to get a name with binocs or a 300 mm telephoto.

Port Orchard Channel, west side of Bainbridge Island, WA. Just south of Pt. Bolin/north of Battle Point. Headed north into Agate Pass

Attachments

• WishboneRigAgatePassJune2006.jpg
    WishboneRigAgatePassJune2006.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 571

wurzner

Member III
Glad you provided a photo, because it wouldn't have been fun trying to describe that in words. Bizarre looking to say the least.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Wierd...

Are you sure you've not been having fun with Photoshop again, Craig? ;)

//sse

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
something new from NASCAR?

A single wishbone rig? Rather than a double wishbone front end?
cool/weird pic

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I was hoping that someone really knew for sure... but until that happens, I do have some "hear say" evidence.
About 15 years ago we saw a could-be sister ship to this at Ilwaco, WA (a little port marina on the north side of the bay at the mouth of the Columbia R.).
It was made of welded aluminum. Some locals told me that there were 6 of them built and that the ostensible purpose was long distance cruising, single handed.
The one I saw has moved on and I have not seen it for, oh, about 8 years or so. It had twin propane tanks in custom holders at the back of the cockpit, and the expected bicycle aboard. Never met the owner.

FWIW, it looked fast... as does the one in the picture. Note that with no "main" sail all the sail handling is with RF headsails. I can only wonder if beating and reaching are what it does best... and that it would want to avoid heading dead downwind.

:confused:

Loren in PDX

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
More puzzle pieces

It is a unique rig, to me at least (I have actual film negatives, Sean!)

A search for 'wishbone mast' on Google turned up the following:
http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/5630/pp

and this 2003 post on Sailnet from the owner of the above blue boat.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion/7128-trying-locate-delta-rig-sailboat.html

And here is more from Brian Eiland, who is trying to track down the boat's owner. This was definitely taken at Port Orchard, WA. Post is from August 2003.
http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1075&password=&sort=2&thecat=995

Loren, if you poke around a bit and read some of the discussion on the (last) NEXT link, it seems to support your Oregon sighting, too.

Oops, this is the actual Oregon-connection thread:
http://forums.boatdesign.net/showthread.php?t=1999

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Columbia River

There used to be something very very similar to that in the Columbia River. It was kept at Tomahawk Bay on Hayden Island in Portland. In about 97 or 98 there was a boat fire, and that boat had the unfortunate luck to be next to it, and didn't look good for it. I think the hull at the time was a dark blue, but I could be wrong. About a year or so ago I believe I saw it for sale.

My understanding was that it was designed as "rule-beater". With no main, and lots of extra jib maybe it got a lot of "un-penalized" sail area under one of the old IOR rules?

- Cory Bolton

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Funny you should mention our legendary fauna ...

Who's that at the helm?

Attachments

• Wishbone-Sasquatch-reduced.jpg
    Wishbone-Sasquatch-reduced.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 583

Guy Stevens

I have been on it, a friend has sailed it.

I was on it, the interior was a bit strange, and some of the gear I thought was less than adaquate to the tasks required for sail handeling. These things could have been changed by now though.

My friend Jay Fraser had the opertunity to sail it in light airs on the Columbia river and reports that it sailed like a normal sailboat in those conditions, although only one of the sails was usable at that time due to a mecanical failure of some type.

Guy
:)

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
familiar name...

Guy,
That's not the Jay Fraser that lives on a floating home in the Multnomah Channel, perchance? Sails an old Islander 34 and did a two year cruise to central America and back?
Loren

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Try to keep an open mind, try to keep an open mind, try to keep an open mind..... Oh God I can't stand it! Thats the ugliest sailing "thing" I have seen! Quick, somebody scuttle it and strangle the designer too. Egads, if all sailboats looked like that I would move very far inland away from all bodies of water. RT

Guy Stevens

yep

Loren Beach said:
Guy,
That's not the Jay Fraser that lives on a floating home in the Multnomah Channel, perchance? Sails an old Islander 34 and did a two year cruise to central America and back?
Loren

Yep, he was even standing behind me when I was typing that entry!!!! We were hanging out down here making each other feel old, talking about how long we have known each other.

I will be seeing him tomorrow, any message you would like to pass on?

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Small world, getting smaller! Ask him about the special advantages of the YachtList...

Tell him we think of Les and wish her well.

While on the subject of odd sailing vessels, I was on the Columbia River one time over 15 years ago and had the Costeau "Flettner" research ship go by me. The one with the two big cylinders on it. It was able to augment its propulsion with this unusual "sailing" apparatus.

Cheers,
Loren in cloudy Portland