• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-200 shift cable replacement

clayton

Member III
Has anyone with an '80s 32-200 (or 32-3) replaced their tranny shift cable? Mine broke inside the clevis attached to the Edson shift handle, so now I only have 2 or 3 threads left on that end of the cable and the throw isn't enough to shift into reverse. I can shift into reverse manually at the tranny lever, just not at the (Edson) pedestal. Cable jacket is red, so I'm assuming Morse, but couldn't see any markings stamped onto the jacket. My best measuring estimate is 15 feet. Engine is Universal M25-XP. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Clayton
'89 32-200

Last edited:

clayton

Member III
Update

A follow-up with some particulars for 32-200 (and I assume 32-3)...The original Morse cables were stamped '204 in' which is 17 feet. The install (factory I assume) had the stamping on the end up inside the pedestal, so no reading it without pulling the cables. There was at least 2 feet of extra cable snaked in a big arc underneath the fuel tank for the shifter, so I used a 15 foot cable for that. Replaced the throttle cable as well, and used 17 feet. Bought Teleflex' best cable, TFT Xtreme, from www.Boatfix.com for just over 1/2 Defender's price. They're in May's Landing, NJ and phone orders aren't accepted. I ordered on Friday afternoon and had the new cables Tuesday afternoon via UPS Ground. The shifter is a little easier to move with the new cable, but the throttle is now silky smooth. Overall, replacement took about 4 hours by myself, working sleep deprived. I think it would have taken 2-1/2 hours if I'd had my brain working well and been more organized. Afterwards it was time for a sail and a large beer.:cheers:

Clayton