• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Misc Information for new E35-3 Owner

Mort Fligelman

Member III
I have an 87 E35-3.....in generally excellent condition....but the PO was not a watchmaker.....some things are just showing a bit of wear and neglect. For one, the throttle cable looks like it has been played with, and when the engine is warm and the cable is pulled back to full idle the engine dies......at this juncture my feeling is the cable should be replaced, and as long as it is being done, the shift cable might as well be done at the same time. If anyone has replaced these and has a model number for each I would appreciate the information, along with any heads up as to possible pitfalls in doing the replacement.

The boat has the original rope clutches, and they are not holding all that well...I have replaced the halyards with new 3/8 line, and it slips. Anyone have any idea of how to, or if, these can be adjusted?

Thanks

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Cable clamp

I can comment on the cable clamp that holds the shifter cable at the tranny side. I just replaced my tranny and in doing so I had to replace the 2 bolts that hold the camp together. They had rusted pretty badly and broke when I tried to remove. I replaced the clamp too.

CaptnNero

Accelerant
adjust it first

Mort, if the engine stalls in the idle position perhaps you should just adjust the cable first instead of replacing it. The cause of the stalling is not the cable itself. Either the cable is out of adjustment or the engine itself has some issue.

The engine could just need to be run regularly if it also has been sitting neglected. You might want to talk to a diesel mechanic about that. Also you need to know what the proper idle speed is and see if the engine can sustain that. Does it have a tachometer ? My M25Xp is set to idle around 600 rpm, for example.

Do you know the last time the engine oil, antifreeze, and transmission oil were changed. If not, you might want to go ahead and change them.

Happy Motoring !

Mort Fligelman said:
I have an 87 E35-3.....in generally excellent condition....but the PO was not a watchmaker.....some things are just showing a bit of wear and neglect. For one, the throttle cable looks like it has been played with, and when the engine is warm and the cable is pulled back to full idle the engine dies......at this juncture my feeling is the cable should be replaced, and as long as it is being done, the shift cable might as well be done at the same time. If anyone has replaced these and has a model number for each I would appreciate the information, along with any heads up as to possible pitfalls in doing the replacement.

The boat has the original rope clutches, and they are not holding all that well...I have replaced the halyards with new 3/8 line, and it slips. Anyone have any idea of how to, or if, these can be adjusted?

Thanks

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I can highly recommend Lewmar Superlock D2 rope clutches. Replace the crappy originals and with the Superlocks and you will wonder why you didn't sooner. They make adjustment so much easier. RT

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Clutching, blocks, etc...

It's amazing how replacing worn blocks, clutches and the like will make everything seem like it works easier... We replaced a lot of that stuff this year, I personally like the Spinlock XAS with it's double lock... Check on Ebay for that stuff, you can usually save some money on new-in-box stuff. We have a friend with a Niagra 35 that was having trouble with his mainsheet (tough to pull or ease) and realized one of the blocks was frozen---
Also, don't forget to go through and check for things like pencil zincs in the heat exchanger, lube the rudder, have the rig checked, etc...
Congrats on your boat!
Chris

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
...you know the last time the engine oil, antifreeze, and transmission oil were changed. If not, you might want to go ahead and change them...

When I first got my 86 E35-3, I had a diesel mechanic check it over and adjust it's valves - and I changed it's oil and filters (so I would know for sure how old each were). The mechanic's work was not that expensive, and gave me a great peace of mind.

You might also consider hauling out when convenient (end of the season) and going over your entire hull so you're familiar with it. It's also a good time to check all the seacocks and replace any of them that are tough to open/close as well as the hoses that are attached to them....

I know that after I had been up into the rigging as well as down under the hull I felt like I knew my boat inside and out...

//sse