• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-29 Atomic 4 operating temp?

leshthomas

Hey,

My wife and I finally got our boat out of the slip yesterday, and I noticed the engine was running at about 200 degrees F, and it crept up to about 210. Is this normal? Does anyone know the normal operational temperature range for an E-29 Freshwater Cooled Atomic 4? We looked in the Atomic 4 manual and didnt find the answer.

-Les Thomas
"Opus"
Bainbridge Island, WA

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Atomic 4 would like to run around 180 degrees

Check out http://www.moyermarine.com/faq/6.10.html

Like all internal combustion engines, the Atomic 4 would like to run around 180 degrees. However, the designers were concerned about salt precipitating out of sea water at temperatures much above 150 degrees, so they installed a thermostat rated at 140 degrees, which in most areas will maintain an operating temperature between 150 and 160 degrees (depending on outside water temperature).

Several years ago, Westerbeke came out with a 180 degree thermostat for people operating in fresh water areas or for engines with fresh water cooling systems installed, particularly in cooler climates (like the Great Lakes, Lake Champlain, etc.). In our experience, the 180 degree thermostats create a few problems in warmer waters where just a small amount of fluctuation in operating conditions can cause temperatures to overshoot into the 200 degree range. Effects of running in the cool range (95 to 100 degrees) include increased carbon buildup on valves and rings. Eventually, both the valves and rings can stick, and compression will suffer. Of the two effects of running too cool, sticky rings are the more difficult to cure.

windjunkee

Member III
We have an A-4 which we had to immediately rebuild upon purchase of the boat last year. We ran into a problem of overheating on port tack. Normally, the engine runs at about 180 or slightly less. On flat water or with moderate heel on starboard tack, the temperature remained constant. 5 degrees of heel or more on port tack and the temp immediately shot up to 200 then to 220 and the alarms went off.

We solved the problem by doing an acid flush of the engine, replacing the thermostat and rebuilding the water pump with a new impeller. It apparently solved the overheating problem, although it brought another problem to the forefront -- backflow of exhaust water into the carburator and engine. <shrug>. We solved that problem too, allegedly.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 hull #134

Dave G

Member II
A-4 Operating Temp

I have a fresh water cooled A-4, it runs at 180 degrees very consistantly. If I push it really hard it will run 185-190. If you are running at 200+ I would recomend checking water flow first, also becuase it easy to lean over the stren on a E-29 and confirm you have adequate flow. If you check the Moyer Marine web site you will find lots of trouble shooting advice for these kinds of issues.

Dave Green
E-29 Spirit
Bellingham, WA