• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Quadrant stop on Yacht specialties pedestal

gabosifat

Member III
Hi All,

I have an E35/3 with Merriman Yacht specialties pedestal. The quadrant stop is a stainless tube about 1" in diameter which is inserted into a hole in the casting under the pedestal. The stop is very loose in the hole. I can take the tube in my fingers and rattle it back & forth - it doesn't come out, but I'd like to tighten it up.
I can't tell how the peice of tube is fixed in the hole (can't see a set screw, it doesn't seem to be threaded, can't see a weld anywhere). The Yacht specialties catalogue in the specs & documents is from 1974 and it shows that on an older design the tube is welded. My boat is a 1986 so I'm not sure how it is fixed in the hole.
Does anyone know how I would go about tightening this?

Many thanks,

Steve Gabbott
E35/3 Silent Dancer
Vancouver

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Steering follies

I just spent some "quality time" back inside the stern compartment, steering related.
:rolleyes:

My problem was that the sheaves under the pedistal had to be removed for re-bushing. To do this I needed to slack off and then disconnect the cables back inside (!) the circular radial drive wheel. Of course I could not completely see what I was working on while working on it....

My '88 has an aluminum casting attached to the top of the radial drive and it has a piece of what looks like well-worn reinforced hose on it as a "bumper." It contacts a piece of wood on either side when the wheel is hard over.

There are two cable clamps on each cable, and after all these years the cable had hardly any "set" at all! They straightened right out when unclamped... Good thing the ends were still taped, or the strands would have unraveled... :(

It's all back together now, but I can add some pics to show the parts in their functional positions.

Note to all owners of wheel-steered Ericsons and Olsons: CHECK those sheaves under the pedistal. If the wear in them goes too far the cable will pop off and jam... and you will be unable to resume steering even with the emergency tiller until you go underneath and cut the cables. :boohoo:

Here are some pics I took, by holding the camera inside the compartment while looking in... (not a whole lot of room in there!)

I will also attach a pic of the sheaves, re-installed in their cast "saddles" with a spare set of bushings shown as well.

Best,
Loren

ps: no, I did not get the cockpit wheel completely "centered" yet!

Attachments

• sheaves small image.jpg
    sheaves small image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 349
  • SteeringWithStop reduced.jpg
    SteeringWithStop reduced.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 306
  • radialWheel and stop.jpg
    radialWheel and stop.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 278
  • steering Stop post.jpg
    steering Stop post.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Steve,

I have the same situation as you on my 1980 E38 with the YS steering. My stop seems to have dropped down a bit recently, but doesn't feel like it will come out. It interferes just slightly with the quadrant spoke at the extremes of travel. I think the piece of tube is flared at the top or something and is dropped in from above before the assembly is bolted in place in the hardest to reach area of the boat. There is another thread that discussed this and some possible solutions. I have not done anything to mine yet.

The attached scan comes from the YS data in the Specs & Documents section of this website. That is just about what mine looks like, but with the hose padding like yours. When I get around to it, or have another reason to get under there, I've considered threading a set screw into the casting. Or I could just trim it shorter by 1/4" and it will work fine but not hit the spoke. To fix the rattle I have thought about glue, actually.

Attachments

• Large_Stop_YS.jpg
    Large_Stop_YS.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 841

jgarmin098

Member II
Loren Beach said:
Note to all owners of wheel-steered Ericsons and Olsons: CHECK those sheaves under the pedistal. If the wear in them goes too far the cable will pop off and jam... and you will be unable to resume steering even with the emergency tiller until you go underneath and cut the cables.

How did you determine that the sheaves were worn? What were the symptoms?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sheave Diagnosis

I have an aft cabin layout like the late model Ericsons, and there is a molded FRP cover that replaces the vinyl headliner in the area under the pedistal. Since one of the things I wanted to check off the preventative maint. list this season was the condition of the cables, I removed that cover and scooted in under the pedistal. Laying on my back with the portable light at hand, I grabbed each sheave edge and tried to wiggle it out of vertical allignment, from side to side. To my surprise they both moved about a quarter inch... :confused:

While I could not see the center of each where it rode on its SS axle pin, it was plain that either the sheave or the pin was worn. Since the sheave would slide back 'n' forth a few 16th's on the pin, the sheave had to be the problem. It turned out that the cast aluminum YS (aka Merriman YS) sheaves had a bronze bushing in each one already. The right size bush was ordered and pressed in.

I had already had a friend turn the wheel lock-to-lock while I gingerly felt the oily cable slide slide through my fingers. I found one meat hook. I figure it will last until we consider our rebuild/replace options next winter.
:rolleyes:

Sidebar: the factory dudes had not quite routered out the last 16th of an inch of plywood reinforcement when they did the install... and one of the sheaves had been rubbing on the wood, just above the bottom plate (ever since 1988). I reached up and Dremel'd (is that a verb?) a bit of wood out while the saddles were out -- lotta dust in my face. Ick. Steering is a tiny bit easier now, though.
Here is a shot of the aft cabin berth with the access plate down. You can see where they did everything they could to maximise sleeping room under the cockpit... :)

Loren

Attachments

• AftCabin with steering exposed.jpg
    AftCabin with steering exposed.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 932
Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Just to complete this thread(I know, a little late).

The stop pin on the YS pedestal on a 35-3 is a tube(maybe a solid rod, I will have to double check) that has a pin set through it at the top perpendicular to the length. The casting underneath the cockpit sole is bored out the same diameter as the tube with a cross slot to accept the pin that keeps the tube from falling out. The only way to remove and service/replace this tube is to unbolt the pedestal from the cockpit floor(4 bolts visible from the top) and drop the casting down far enough to allow you to push the tube up through the casting.

The pedestal, casting and 4 bolts sandwich the cockpit sole.

If it feels loose, it may be getting ready to fail.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks, Tim. That explains why I can't do anything about it with a reasonable amount of effort. I just tried to saw the end off mine from the aft lazarette. Too much work for a hacksaw and about and inch of back and forth. Mine is steel tube and fairly thick walled. So, if it falls out we'll just go from there.

Cheers,