• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2007 NW Ericson Rendezvous - Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Ok - I know I'm probably jumping the gun some here - but I wanted to create a space for discussion of the 2007 NW Ericson Rendezvous.

Whenever you guys have gotten past the sunburn and sobered up, feel free to discuss... :egrin:

Right now the location is TBA.

//sse

wurzner

Member III
I believe Stuart touched on this briefly and the general feeling was back to Point Hudson. We should probably get another voting poll up once folks have had a chance to get back to port and reflect on their trip. Either way, they are both fantastic locations with merit to go to either one. I had a great as usual and look forward to next years event, no matter where it is relatively speaking.

I believe everyone will agree that the event was very well enjoyed by all. The only negative thing I heard was the long walk/run to the facilities. As we are a beer drinking crowd, the trip always took longer than you wanted. It was really nice having the tent to protect us from the environment. I'll post some pictures later tonight or tommorow.

shaun

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I note that a poster in a nearby thread suggests Victoria BC for June of '07.
Love that city, but wonder if there is interest in sort of "rotating" between the US and Canada in alternate years?

Being from Portland, I would prefer the nearer Pt Townsend location in '07, with no Customs to go thru this time... Until the following year when we congregate in BC waters and "go North" again...

In the coming months perhaps many other owners will weigh in with their preferences.

Wherever we go, we plan to have a good time!
:)

Loren in PDX

hodo

Member III
If I remember, we talked about rotating it across the border each year, and that was thought to be a good idea. Memory sometimes is fleeting, so, i could be wr..wro..wron.. Why is that so hard to say?Anyway, Mischief :devil: Maker and her supporters, Jessie and Harold, vote for P.T.. Where ever it is, we aim to be there! Harold and Jessie

hodo

Member III
Which question, Where we are going or why it is hard to say the "W" word? Probably better do it for the location, just to save us guys a little touble. Harold:devil:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
My humble two bits worth

Since we are approx 300 miles inland, it really doesn't matter to us where we go. PT sounds just dandy. We were planning to join everyone this year but had Fathers Day plans here in the Spokane Area.

Sure would like to join everyone in 07 though and looking forward to it.

Richard Elliott

Member III
NW Ericson Rendezvous

Re: Kim Schoedel's comments. Can't we move it a week later and avoid Father's Day? I campaigned for this last year and failed so I'm trying again. Dick Elliott.

wurzner

Member III
First, I don't have Kids and I don't go out of town on Father's Day, so the date does not impact me. I do, however think that there are owner's who may not be able to make it on Father's Day due to kids/grand kids. That being said, this does not impact me either way and post this with not bias either way. Perhaps memebers who have not attended who would attend would be the best folks to respond?
shaun

Dave G

Member II
Schedule and Location

We didn't make it this year because of a conflict with our sons high school graduation. Personnaly I think it's a great way to spend Fathers day, but I understand that it creates a problem for some. I would vote for one week later to avoid the end of school schedule conflicts and avoid the Fathers Day issue for others.

As far as location goes, I like the idea of rotating,might be a good excuse to go to some place I haven't been. Victoria sounds good, another option might be Friday Harbor. I don't think we need to limit ourselves to just two locations. Being somewhat in the middle geographically, it doesn't matter to me if it's Canada or the US.

Dave Green
E-29 Spirit
Bellingham, WA

wurzner

Member III
The issue with places like Friday Harbor is it makes it a little bit more of a logistical challenge for those who drive in. Also, the room rates tend to be significantly more. Glyn comes in from So Cal and is an integral contributor to the event, as is Loren and other's who's names escape me. That's not to say we can't plan additional cruises each year and really should based on the amount of ericsons I saw on my 16 days between Seattle and Nanaimo and back. For the main event, I think rotating between 2 locations is fine since I tend to hit a lot more spots on my own.

Just my 2 cents worth. I will attend wherever it is, but I have a fairly flexible schedule due to 4 weeks of PTO a year and no kids.
shaun

Jet Stream

I am also in agreement with changing the date as it always conflicts with my sons b-day. I enjoy bringing my two boys to the rendezvous and they enjoy coming, but I don't know how I am going to convince him that his party next year is going to be with a bunch of wild Vikings in Port Townsend.
What is wrong with the following weekend??? Better weather...:egrin: :egrin:

bill boyko

b.c. sailor

I missed the last get together.
I live in Vancouver and I have heard all the horror stories of Canadians sailing to the U.S. so I'm not keen on traveling south. It seems that the coast guard in the U.S. is a semi-military force with AK's,tears boats apart, etc.
Maybe there is some good news out there?
I got my Ericson 29 last winter and have had wonderful sails this summer. It's a great boat.
Hope to talk to other N.W. Erickson sailors in the furture.
Cheers Bill

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Bill,

I also sail out of Vancouver and have experienced none of the nightmarish scenarios you describe. Yes, it is a bit of a hassle to cross the border, but it is no worse than going across in your car - better than some landlubber border crossing stories I've heard. We had the Homeland Security/Border Patrol boat pull alongside our boat 2 years ago when we entered US waters by Stuart Island. They were polite and courteous, and insisted that we not alter course or slow down (we were on a close reach at about 5.5 knots at the time). Yes, they were armed and they did ask us some questions but it was not an intimidating or scary encounter by any means. They let us carry on and were quite personable and even funny when they pulled away from our vessel, giving us our right of way! We proceeded on to Roche Harbor and checked in officially with the Customs guy there (officer Jim). He couldn't have been any friendlier or easy going - just very efficient and polite with us.
I would certainly recommend that you do not take rumours and hearsay to be the truth when it comes to crossing the 49th parallel. The San Juans and Puget Sound are fabulous cruising grounds that would be a shame to miss because of fear of the border crossings.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Poll question

Sean,

"this side of the border" means "this side of the border where Sean lives" e.g. in the US?

I would prefer to alternate BC and the US locations. I would suggest that we stick to ports of entry (or conveniently near one) on each side. It looks like from the past locations, this is already a consideration.

Fair grades, man.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Sean,

"this side of the border" means "this side of the border where Sean lives" e.g. in the US?

I would prefer to alternate BC and the US locations. I would suggest that we stick to ports of entry (or conveniently near one) on each side. It looks like from the past locations, this is already a consideration.

Fair grades, man.

No, actually it means just what it says - "this side of the border" - which means one side or the other (does not specify which; depends on your orientation) - as opposed to roatating cities...

//sse

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Any decision yet?

I note that the poll in the companion thread is up to 13 to 0 for rotating back 'n' forth each year between Canada and the US. I note also that at least one contributor pointed out that a designated port of entry is a good place to have it, to reduce the trip routing a bit.

So, here we are in November, already.
Should we declare a destination for 2007 and set a weekend date right away? We really do need to secure some sort of committment to dock space and a shore-side facility for a potluck if we want to do that again. Marinas need some lead time, and lots of other boating groups will be making their reservations soon, it seems like to me.

Personally, I still want to return to Pt Townsend, and am determined to get there by water this time. :rolleyes:

For us far away owners, that seemed to be a pretty good place to accomodate those arriving by boat, plane, and auto.

Is the weekend of June 16/17 the one you all have been talking about for '07?

Whatever is decided, it would be nice to get the major logistics pinned down sooner rather than later...
;)

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Loren in PDX

wurzner

Member III
Loren,

I just copied the following from the marina website. June 1 is pretty close to our date. I just spoke with Rhonda at the marina and they were suppose to start Oct 1 and the barge still hasn't shown up (will likely be there tommorow). That being said, they thought they would be open May 1 and have pushed it out accordingly. She said to call the end of the year and they will have good visibility on if things are on track for June 1. She put us down on an unofficial list for father's day weekend as well, but asked if we would entertain moving it out a little as well.

Shaun

Port Hudson Website Notice below

As of November 1, 2006, the Hudson Point Marina is closed down for reconstruction, with an approximate completion date of June 1, 2007. Moorage will not be offered in the marina during this time. Please try the Boat Haven for moorage.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Where / When thoughts

Hmmm.....
If Pt Hudson will not / can not give us what we need, it might be time to examine all of our geographic options.
First we need to know what our "requiremens" are.
We need to know how many boats, what shoreside facilities are needed, what (if any) marina or logistics support is needed close by.
Then there is transportation in for those arriving without boats.
Except for the later point, I am beginning to see why so many different boating groups have focused on Pt Ludlow in the Sound, and on Sidney in BC.

Not every marina has a "block" of slips to reserve for a 3 day guest moorage group. Even last year, where the facilities were as excellent as the price was elevated, the Ericsons were scattered around.
While I have only a fraction of the experience and history with this even as many of you, I was really impressed with "Ericson row" at Pt Hudson Marina the year before. Of course their charming and rickety docks then were damaged by a subsequent winter storm and appear to be only partly promised for mid-2007 usage.
The other huge marina at Pt Townsend certainly has lotsa slips, but when I was visiting there last Feb it appeared to be full to the max.

Perhaps some open-minded research needs to be done this month.
Somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I might suggest Westport, Washington, at Grays Harbor. It is equally inconvenient for everyone, but might get a bunch of Oregon owners up there, being a day's run up the coast from the mouth of the Columbia... :rolleyes:

Neah Bay -- nice docks nowadays, but too jammed up with fish boats, and a looooong way out by hiway.

The Sea-Tac area owners will have to weigh in options in their areas...
and that adds perhaps another whole day's run for the BC guys and gals.

Anyone mind if I call Pt Hudson marina to beg and plead? I do want to avoid the impression that we have no one person in charge. :cool:

It is interesting to observe that we need both a nice marina, and one that has 35 (?) empty spaces to rent us for two nights once every other year... and can remain financially viable until we return again. :thinker:

We don't want much, do we?
:jollyroge

Loren in PDX

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Loren,

While I appreciate your interest in begging, I REALLY doubt it would be of value. I've worked with Rhonda for our annual Milltown Sailing Cruise and she is great. Also, she wants us back as much as we want to go there since they really cater to events like ours. In short, no docks means no event and they haven’t started the renovations yet (are 5 weeks late to start). I do believe that they should be able to give us a much better picture by the end of the year. Also, they do not take official reservations until Jan 1 hence my comment about the unofficial reservation. She keeps tabs on who is interested, but they can not reserve prior to Jan 1 which is why we always call them the first of the year.

At this point, I would suggest we keep Pt. Hudson as the primary location WHILE investigating other locations. Also, it may be of interest to move it out a week or 2 later since some folks can not attend the event due to the father’s day conflict. As mentioned before, no kids-nd no conflict on my end so I don’t care and voice this for others who may have a conflict.

I’m sure Stuart will have some input as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.