• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Kevlar racing sails

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Kevlar racing sails and spinnakers for sale

I just bought an Ericson 35-III with a whole suit of racing sails. I do not race that seriously and am offering them to someone who can use them. I also have 3 spinnakers. Here is the list. Email me to talk pricing. I am not sure what they are worth. I took them to a local sailmaker and he assigned them the ratings below.

1 - 100% UK tape drive Kevlar headsail in Excellent condition
1 - 153% UK tape drive Kevlar headsail in good condition(needs some minor repairs along the edges but otherwise nice).

1 - .5 ounce spinnaker(not inspected yet)
1 - .75 ounce spinnaker(not inspected yet)
1 - 1.5 ounce spinnaker(not inspected yet)
1 - spinnaker pole

The headsails are in Maine(Portland area) and the spinnakers and pole are currently in Massachusettes(mattapoissett) and will be in Maine next week.

Tim R.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If that 100% headsail is full hoist, I might be interested. Measurements?

Are you planning to keep the pole and one spinnaker? Note that if you let those go and change your mind later, they will prove to be quite expensive to replace.

Loren in PDX

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Measurements

You're right. I should keep the pole and 1 chute. Which one do you think would be the best for all around use? The .75?

I measured the 100 last weekend on the floor of our local YC. We just had the floor polished! It was a little tough to get an exact measurement but here is what I got. The luff is about 45'4" and the foot is about 16'. I did not measure the leech but the cut of the sail appears very low to the deck. It has reinforcing where it would hit the stanchions when sheeting inside the lifelines.

Tim R.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Chute-wise, I would be inclined to keep the .75, unless it is in really bad shape. Next after that I would want the .5, for those light air days when you want to shut off the diesel and just glide along while you and the Admiral enjoy a cold one, lounging in the cockpit....
:)

I just checked my old measurements for the length of my sail on the furler and it looks like I am SOL. I have 43' 11" written down, and shortening a sail is expensive...
Darn.
:(

Best,
Loren

treilley

Sustaining Partner
All of the sails are now inspected

1 - 100% UK tape drive Kevlar headsail in Excellent condition
1 - 153% UK tape drive Kevlar headsail in good condition(needs some minor repairs along the edges but otherwise nice).

1 - .5 ounce spinnaker - Leech 45.7, foot 29.3, fair condition(red/white)
1 - .75 ounce spinnaker - Leech 46.1, foot 28.8, good condition(red/gray/blk)
1 - 1.5 ounce spinnaker - Leech 43.3, foot 28.0, good condition(red/white/blk)

All of the sails are in Portland, Maine.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Why do you think the Tape Drive sails are only for racing? I don't race my boat but bought a Tape Drive genoa because it beats the pants off my almost new Doyle dacron genoa (sorry Seth).

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Mine furls. I would call UK to see what's involved in converting. Your two headsails probably set the PO owner back $5,000.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Yes but...

I race in a cruising class and sometimes doublehanded class where kevlar is not legal.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Geoff Johnson said:
Your two headsails probably set the PO owner back $5,000.

I was quoted $2300-$2500 for a DACRON 100% headsail for my E38. I would expect the Kevlar to be a lot more.....

Anyone know if a 100% headsail on an E35 will fit an E38? Worth converting to roller furl? RT

Masallah 04

Member II
interested in the 153 headsail.....

Tim:
I might be interested in the 153 headsail....
I have a E35II, so it should fit my boat nicely.
Any chance you could take some photographs of the sails you have for sale?
feel free to call me (541) 990-9613
thanks
alan

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Photos of 153

Here are the photos. The one photo shows the foot of the sail where the adjustment cord is out and the hem needs some minor repair. Other than that, this sail shows very, very little usage.

My sailmaker said this sail in in good condition. He would rate it very good if it did not need any repair. Excellent he saves for new sails!

I know how much these sails are new and I do not expect to get nearly that much so offer me what you think is fair.

BTW, this will go into my new headsail fund so you really are helping out a fellow sailor in need!

Attachments

• clew.JPG
    clew.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 198
  • head.JPG
    head.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 194
  • repair.JPG
    repair.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 224
  • Sail153.JPG
    Sail153.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 222
  • tack.JPG
    tack.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 178

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Is anyone still interested in this sail? I have some local interest but the people on this forum replied first.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Kevlar sails and Spinnakers still for sale. They are going on ebay soon if I do not here from anyone here.