• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Float Plans, Any one use them?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
:soapbox: I got a letter from my marina recommending that we all make one for any substantial voyage (Even Catalina) and give it to some one responsible or the marina office. Here's the one I made up using some of the images I found here at EYO. It may be over kill but then again, there's no such thing as too much information.

Attachments

• FloatPlan.jpg
    FloatPlan.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 149

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My club requires and provides a float plan form. If you will be away for 24hrs or more they like to know so that your slip/mooring may go to a transient. It also is just smart that more people know where you are going and for how long when they see your boat gone. I fill one out if going out for any more than just a few hours. RT

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
Nice work Jeff...it probabally doesn't hurt to havea float plan .... esp if you
plan on having any accidents/mishapps ... (sp?) ... just kiddin' ..... :rolleyes:

Heck, we use them in flying, it makes sense (to me) to use them for outings like >> camping/road trips/boat trips/long hikes, etc...It sure can tell folks/rescuers when to "send out the troops" to hunt for ya... in the event something goes wrong...and you can't raise help....:cool:

By taking the time to do a nice float plan and using/filing/folowing it ... may (somehow..) give you imunity (sp?) from ever really needing it ... all that + karma .... wow ...... just a thought......

Jeff Asbury said:
:soapbox: I got a letter from my marina recommending that we all make one for any substantial voyage (Even Catalina) and give it to some one responsible or the marina office. Here's the one I made up using some of the images I found here at EYO. It may be over kill but then again, there's no such thing as too much information.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Canadian Coast Guard does them

Most of my cruising has been in the Canadian waters of Ontario. An amazing service offered by the Canadian Coast Guard is a free float plan service. You can just call them by phone or VHF radio as you depart, and arrange the details on the spot. And they are good at it too. If for example you agree to call them at midnight to give them your sit rep as you cross Lake Huron you better call, or by 12:05 they will be sending out a call for you all across the Great Lakes. (Not that I was ever late in calling in with a sit rep! :D ) You then close out the plan by phone or radio when you reach your destination. Great service.