• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wiring fridge

msc1212

Member II
Over the winter I have rewired my 35-2 including the installation of a new xantrec inverter. The fridge in my boat was wired to the 120 volt system for shore power and the 12 volt system when the boat was off the hook. Now that I have an inverter should I just wire the fridge to the 120 system or to the 12 volt system? Which is more efficient? Thanks for any help on this question.

Guy Stevens

efficiency

Rember that nothing is for free, the making of 120 volts from 12 volts is not a loss less process. You will do much better to wire the fridge to the 12 volt side of the equation, unless there is something wrong with the 12 volt compressor.

What is the fridge type, etc...

Guy
:)

wurzner

Member III
My Norcold is both 120 and 12 volt. I have it plugged into an outlet close to where it is installed and then also into the 12 volt panel. It runs off of 110 when at shore, or 12 volt when we are out. I too have an Heart Freedom charger/inverter so I could run it off of 120, but as Guy noted, it won't be near as efficient and running it from a 12 volt source.

My 2 cents.
shaun