• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bimini

Kim Schoedel

Member III
The 35-3 that is one of the pics when we open this web site has a real nifty looking bimini. Is this one of our members boats? We need to get one (miss the B we had on our previous boat). This one looks like it is just suspended over the cockpit without a bunch of supports to get in the way. The only time we use one is on those nasty hot summer days or when the rain or snow is unbearable. This one looks quite simple, our style.

stbdtack

Member III
Hey Craig,
What do you think of your bimini. I'm just about to make one just like the one Sean shows in the pics.
I had the canvas guy sew a zipper in the aft edge of the dodger so I could add it on . I thought about using a PVC pipe for the aft edge tied to the BS and maybe a strut off of the pedestal to lift it up? If I dont tie it up to the boom then I could sail with it up. Like Kim, I want it really simple and quick to stow. Using the boat hook for the aft strut is a good idea. Just curious how you use yours. :egrin:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Barely used it so far, but ...

I like the idea, and the basic method for supporting it is OK. I have been thinking about how to rig the sides and the aft end to hold them up a little higher, while not losing too much ease of setup, takedown and storage. (It's not suitable for use underway because it restricts forward visibility even worse than the dodger.)

The awning can be tied around the end of the boom which helps the height right there. It has a dedicated pole that telescopes and has plastic eyes on the ends.

Here in the Northwest it will mostly come in handy for keeping the dew off the seats :0305_coff , but I did deploy it on a fiercely sunny (calm) day last summer. It was very nice in the cockpit after that.

Wishful thinking now: What I would like is a nice, wide dodger that can be removed and stored easily on the boat. Right now, folding it down is very bad for the windows and the after edge gets chafed by the traveler. Leaving it behind during a Seattle summer just makes it rain more.

I hope we haven't wrecked your thread, Kim. :devil:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
footrope said:
...Leaving it behind during a Seattle summer just makes it rain more...

Yes...and let's not forget to define the 'Seattle Summer': July 5th to August 15th! :p

//sse

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Sean, your cover looks like it could fit our needs big time. What kind of cleat are you using to attach the "yoke" on the backstay. Bolt on plastic with a ring through it? Am I getting this correctly? Our old boat had a full bim with aft and sides. Great for winter sailing. Just have the new dodger that the PO replaced spring 05. Miss the Bimini big time for those no wind, hot days and the occasional rain. Thanks,

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Sean, I'll try this again since I don't think you saw it. What type of cleat are you using to attach the "yoke" for the bimini onto the backstay? Thanks,

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sorry I missed this question, Kim - I only now noticed it... :confused:

The cockpit cover I had was really simple - just zippered to the back of the dodger, and then had a loop with a pole in it. In the middle of the pocket was an opening, which allowed me to run a line to a small cleat on the backstay. The pole ends also had lines on them that I could tie off to the back rails...

If you (or anyone else) have further questions on this, please feel free to email me...

//sse

sleather

Sustaining Member
Handrail?

Sean, I probably wouldn't have noticed your pics from O Barquinho(there has to be a story in that name) That is one sweet dodger! I'm planning one for my E23 and the "handrails" look like a great idea. Am I correct in assuming that it's removable, but NOT collapsible?

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
The grab rails on the sides? Yes, they were bolted on - so I guess you could remove them. The frame could also be taken down, however the dodger was also made up of larged zippered panels - so you could strip it down to just a top if you wanted to, etc...

//sse

sleather

Sustaining Member
Folding?

I didn't mean "removing" the handrails. It appears that the entire dodger would be "removable", but not "collapsible" as in a convertible auto top. So where did the name come from?

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
'O Barquinho'

The name O Barquinho (pronounced "ooh-bar-kee-no") is Brazilian Portuguese for 'My Little Boat' - it's also the name of an old, very famous, Brazilian samba.

//sse