• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Balmar 712-80 as Second Alternator ?

chaco

Member III
Well here is the deal.....the Beta Factory recommends leaving the std 40A
alternator to charge the Start System and install the Balmar 712-80 as a
House System charger (space constraints) :boohoo:
Would appreciate FEEDBACK (Pics) on how to install the second alternator
on the Beta 902 (3) cylinder Kubota block (Universal XP-25 etc).
And...is this the "Way to Go"... are their other options :confused:

Thanks Electrical Mechanics :D

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Sounds like overkill to me with more things to go wrong and more power drained from the engine. I have seen photos of such a setup, but on much bigger engines. Why not install the Balmar and use a battery combiner to charge the starting battery or, if it is a different chemistry, Balmar's DuoCharge?

Last edited:

Captron

Member III
I like Geoff's suggestion.

My system uses a Balmar 812-65 and their smart 3 stage regulator. (uses the stock 3/8 belt which also drives the circulating water pump). The start battery is charged via a battery combiner once the house bank reaches a preset voltage. (the alternator/regulator is sold as a package deal at West Marine)

I eliminated the factory 1-2-Both-Off battery switch and a bunch of other stuff (isolators, rheostats, switches, wire) from previous owners in favor of a simple on-off switch for the house bank and an on-off for the start battery. There is an emergency-only cut-over switch that enables engine starting from the house bank ... I've used it once in 3 years, mainly due to corrosion on the starter motor terminal. (by the way Blue Seas makes a very nice switch panel for this set-up with a keyed emergency switch)

I find that the starting battery is always full while the house bank takes most of the loading/charging activity ... just what I want.

rssailor

alternator

Well I would get like an eighty amp alternator, maybe a leece neville or a balmar or something similar. Two alternators are overkill and to complex for a small boat like yours. Use a Balmar MC 612 regulator with the alternator and battery temp sensors to control whatever alternator you choose. Then, use a digital duo charge to keep the engine battery from being overcharged. Good luck. Ryan

chaco

Member III
Thanks Gentlemen.....I bought the Balmar Alternator as a replacement on the
old Universal M4-30. I agree that (2) alternators on a wee 25HP diesel is
WAY overkill. The Standard 40A is not going to make it charging a 240ah
House System. The boat had a Hehr-Aqualine Regulator installed on a
Motorola 60A internal regulated alternator? Somebody had their WIRES
crossed! Don't think the PO burned it up... so I will hook it up and see if
she works. Found the Aqualine Manual online. Anyone ever use one of these
CRITTERS ? Will keep the original alternator for emergencies.
Now it's on to the alternator mounting bracket.