• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Datamarine wind instrument

Gary G

Member II
I have a Datamarine Corinthian (analog) wind speed/direction instrument that is giving me trouble. I'm hoping someone here has seen the same symptoms and can provide some guidance. The wind speed is fine but the needle indicating wind direction oscillates constantly (even in a calm) back and forth probably through 45 degrees at least. I've cleaned all the connections along the way and cranked up the dampening to no avail. Any suggestions short of sending the unit in for servicing or replacement? :esad:

Gary

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Give DMI Marine a call. I've had all three of my receiving units serviced and calibrated by them and it was relatively cheap and painless. On the other hand, if you have a problem with the anenometer head (e.g. all the oil has leaked out), that is obviously a bigger problem.

windjunkee

Member III
I have a Standard Horizon wind instrument and have the same problem with oscillation. I've tried the service route to no avail. I believe that the system I currently have is just cheap because the more advanced systems have "damping" or "dynamic damping" which will reduce or eliminate the oscillations primarily caused by the bouncing of the mast.

I have since ordered the B&G H-1000 system which has damping built in to it. I presume it will be more accurate as well. But the biggest reason I'm switching is that I want more detailed information for racing -- specifically True Wind Direction. I'm ordering extra displays to accommodate the increased data that we can use on a consistent basis.

I know this isn't a fix, but I found a need to scrap our current system and go with something better. Just in case anyone wants to know the cost, I ordered the H-1000 system which comes with one display, the wind, speed and depth sensors, a flux gate compass, the electronics and NMEA interface, along with an analog wind angle display and a triple digital display for almost exactly $3,000 from P-yacht. This is about $1,000 savings over retail.

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2, hull #134

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Datamarine was top of the line in its day. For about $75 to $100 you can get it refurbished. My anemometer is as good as new (and fully damped). Granted Datamarines don't perform the calculations that new models can do, but they're good enough for my purposes. When I do replace mine, I will probably go for NMEA 2000 instruments and the new anemometer that has no moving parts.