• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Custom Berth in Salon for E27

bigtyme805

Member III
I want to fabricate this exact berth on my E27 and I am wondering if anybody has done this? If so maybe you could give me some tips. This photo I found online. Thank you...

Attachments

• Berth in salon.jpg
    Berth in salon.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 520

hcpookie

Member III
Do you have a bigger photo? I've wondered myself about converting the center aisle to a bed area... my '75 -27 has a teak support at the "knee" that apparently keeps the cushions from sliding off the seat. It seems to me that you would need to notch the cross-beams to accomodate the supports.

The other thing is custom cushions - you would need some of course, but I think you'd do well to have a dual-use cushion arrangement so that the cushions don't simply become dead space when you're not using the bunk.

Has anyone put a support in the cockpit? I've thought that if the night was nice and the insects would cooperate, that sleeping under the stars in the cockpit would be a good idea too. ;)

soup1438

Member II
Alternatives...

On my E-25 I've wondered whether it'd be advantageous to build such a structure... by making some cross-pieces and some plywood, this would make the use of an inflatable queen-size mattress almost painless...

And, yeah, the timbers across the cabin would have to be notched in such a way that they'd not weakened... (imagines how weird these can look)

With a little bit of cleverness, I can imagine how this'd be notched for the mast compression post and how the "plywood" pieces might be able to fold over into a table (of sorts). The problem, of course, is where the flat *and* cross pieces that are superflous in building a table could be kept w/ no impact to "productive use of space".

The key being that you'd use an inflatable mattress for weight and "lowest inactive volume" but then the *rest* of the structure would suck up a fair amount of volume when not in use, though a LOT depends upon how heavy the crew is.

Note that _my_ E-25 has a full keel and so this, I think, simplifies matters, at least for *me*.

Hmmmmm...

In any case, as hcpookie commented, the key trade-off question is how much space is lost when this is NOT in use... and what kinds of tricks can be used to mitigate the lost space. (Hmmmm... a roll of bamboo?)

Steve Swann

Member III
Another option: I created fold-down berth extensions on both main cabin berths on my E25. I had to cut down the trim (aka bunkboards) flush with the bench fiberglass liner down most of the length so they didn't stick in the sleeper's side, but the whole affair went in quite easily. Instead of making a full 6'3" extension mattresses, I had the upholsterer make each extension into 3 pieces each to serve as pillows during the day and they simply friction fit for the bed at night. If anyone wants pictures, I can try to post. Lemme know.

Steve

bigtyme805

Member III
This picture is from a Hunter 27 and I was lucky enough to find it online while searching for ideas on how to convert my single berths into a wide berth.

I was on my boat today thinking about doing wet wednesday but with winds gusting at 30k I passed. So I took a look at the berth and my main concern is where do I store the plywood that converts the berth. I believe it can stored in the head where the table goes when not in use.

To have my canvas shop make the cushions will be an easy task, just will cost a few bucks. Somebody gave me a great idea from this thread, have the cushions sectioned off into fours and when not in use I can use as pillows. Thank you for that tip.

I am going to start the project next week and I will post some pics.

wanderer

Member II
don, i just picked up aNOTHER 27 and it has a neat idea for what you're looking for.

they took off the little teak rail that keeps the cushions stable and cut it in half, placed a stainless steel hinge the length of it and attached a piece of plywood on it which folds up nice and neat under the starboard salon cushion. they used regular funiture legs with support brackets under the plywood and it worked quite well. only problem i see with it is if you want to get at gear or check the battery compartment, you have to lift the plywood up.

i should be down working on the boat this weekend. i'll try to snap some pix.

they also used an air mattress which folds up and stows just about anywhere.

hcpookie

Member III
Ah! I've got it... bear with me here. Picture a folding table like a drop-leaf table or a folding "game table" if you know what those are (basically a drop leaf table where the leaf folds onto the top of the table instead of hanging free at the hinge).

That could let you store the sections of the bed together under the cushions, like so many flat boards laying atop each other.

Unfolded, they would lay with the hinged seams port-starboard, and not fore-aft.

If they were double-layered, the bottom layer could be notched or perhaps a standoff put on the normal seats that sits higher than the teak runners. Those standoffs would raise the "ends" of the boards so that the entire platform would never touch the runners.

Just throwing out ideas.

FL Dave

My E27 that just sold has this arrangement. Just below the piece that holds the cushionis in place, on the teak strip facing the center of the boat, is a 3/4"x3/4" batten that produces a "lip". The plywood pieces then span the space between the settees. There were two of them and when not in use the were stowed under the v-berth cushions. Their size allowed me to usea queen-size inflatable bed. Very comfortable. Nice to be in the airflow from hatch to hatch. Odd getting used to sleeping athwartships.

Dave
E31
Chance Encounter