• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Dinette Pedestal Removal

Our E-35 Mk II has had the A-4 replaced with a Diesel Engine. The engine box has been enlarged and raised several inches making access to the dinette impossible except for the forward side of the table. The engine box actually makes a decent place to put things and we have removed the table to open up the interior. We actually like it better this way and have everything out except the base in the cabin sole which appears to be glassed in.

It is a toe stubber and I want to remove it. Has anyone knowledge of how this part is installed and if it can be removed without major surgery?

Thanks for your help.

Vern Kleist
Whisper
San Diego

msc1212

Member II
It depends on what you think is major. I just lifted my floor to access the water tank [that was major]. The pedestal for the dinnete table is glassed as part of the floor. You could grind it or cut it at the base without too much difficulty. You would then have to fill the void created by the pedestal removal with more glass and probably some balsa core. It will be messy but I wouldn't describe it as major because you won't have move, grind shift or in any other way change anything else in the boat to get to it. The pedestal on my E35-II was filled with polyester resin which was poured in from the top and spread out beneath the floor. You might have to deal with this large rock-like glob of resin when you cut through the pedestal. Have fun. Good Luck.

MSC

Tom Plummer

Member III
MSC

I have a 1981 E25-2 with the optional water tank under the main salon sole. It has developed a leak and I am contemplating pulling up the sole to replace it. It would appear from your previous post that you have already done it. Could you describe what you did? Were you in the water when you did it and do you have any photos of the process?

msc1212

Member II
I bought my boat last fall. The previous owner had replaced the water tank the year before. He had the floor of the cabin cut around the water tank, a new stainless steel water tank installed and then the floor was reinstalled. That sounds easy enough.. doesn't it? It wasn't. Very messy, nothing fit right and the cabin floor has a bit of give to it that bothered me enough that I pulled everything up this winter to see if I could make things fit better. I which I could say my efforts were successful but the floor still has some creaks that I can't seem to get rid of. I have some photos which I can send in the next few days.

thanks for your response. I would like to see the photos of your floor surgery. Although we have not deliberately cut into the floor, the forward hatch by the door to the head was cracking in the corners and along the base of the door jam. There was a lot of give when you would step on that hatch and because the transponder for our knot meter is just below it I was afraid we would break the transponder assembly. I took some measurements and cut up some pieces of wood to add support to the hatch supports. As you say, it was messy and difficult. It is hard to get wood to stay in place while the 5200 sets when everything is at an odd angle. Getting the pieces to fit was tough enough and then getting them braced in there for a week made for an interesting job. Your task much have been pretty tough.

Vern